View Single Post
Old 10-08-09, 07:02 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
I tend to recommend these flashlight solutions first over the Dinotte because of the pricing per lumen, but the Dinotte overall is still a great light and value. But you can definitely do brighter (a LOT brighter) for cheaper without sacrificing any functionality or convenience.
How about runtime? Runtime is a HUGE convenience factor; everyone says "you can just change batteries in mid-ride" but I've done that in the past, and digging a battery out of my bag and putting it in a flashlight when it's pitch black and not a street or house light in sight is no fun.

In the winter I'm riding at temps down to -25*F, and that is probably going to cut any light's runtime down to maybe 1/4 of what it would be in more comfortable temps, and my ride can be up to 55 minutes if there's been heavy snowfall and headwinds. I'm actually thinking I may need a second battery even with the MS P7's 3 hour runtime, when it gets that cold. Or maybe I'll just switch to helmet mount for the winter and keep the battery inside my jacket. Can't do that with a flashlight.