Old 05-19-01, 02:17 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by thbirks
The problem is I don't see many kids riding. Where I currently live, I call it Cartopia but you may be more familiar with New Jersey, things are spread out. It's hard to get places without a car. Housing is in one area, stores in another, and places of business in still another place.

Another problem is the amount of traffic and lack of suitable places to ride on the road.
I agree that this form of "low density" development is flawed and overly dependent on cars.

On the other hand, though it seems there is no place to ride, "short hops" of 5 or 10 miles are perfect for cycling. A commute of 15 miles is only about an hour.

"Cartopias" make it seem like the only option is driving. But they offer many alternate routes through residential districts where speeds are slower, traffic is light and surroundings are pleasant. Also, arteries are never as difficult to cycle on as it first seems.

We need to reclaim our "Cartopias" for bikes. No one else will do it for us. Government can help, but unless they get on their bikes and ride, we are still the only true line of defense. We must learn how to cycle anywhere, anytime, for any reason.

In short, we cyclists must learn to use our bikes as cars and do the work.

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 05-19-01 at 02:29 PM.