View Single Post
Old 03-17-05, 05:31 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The bus creates many problems because you never know what kind of driver you're going to get. Some bus drives will allow you to board with a bulky package and others will get angry. Not all bus lines are the same and some have more space inside the cabin than others. The package has to be as small and light as possible and in my opinion, there are only two bikes that fit this bill. The Brompton and Dahon Presto.

You could probably include the Strida but since your're going 10 miles, this may not be the best choice. If Strida ever gets it's act together and make it a 3 speed, it would be the best choice of all.

You might be able to get a 20' inch folding bicycle aboard the bus but this is really pushing to the limits what a driver will allow. I've heard stories of Bike Friday owners bringing their cycles inside the cabin so it can be done.

The problem is as follows.

1. The drivers' attitude - Will he/she let you board with a rather large package inside the bus. Keep in mind that you have to cover the bike with a bag or they won't even think of allowing you to boad. If the bus driver sees you're bringing a bicycle uncovered, you'll be left out in the cold. Unfortunately, the package gets much larger than a suitcase once the bike is inside a bag

2. Is the bus crowded? -- If the bus is jammed with people, I doubt you'll be allowed to board with the bag. I may be wrong but a very large package like a Presto/Brompton inside the bag would block the lane. I doubt the driver will allow you to put the bike on the seat next to you since your fare covers one chair. Passengers will complain. I doubt you can put the bike on your lap because that would be painful and a little embarrasing.

3. Is there room to place the bike where you can stand -- You will not be allowed to put the bicycle in the handicap spot because that requires taking two or three chairs! There is also no room underneath the chairs so where can you park the bike? I usually find a spot next to the rear door or I'll go all the way to the back of the bus and stand there next to the bike. Hopefully, there will be enough room where people can walk around you to exit.