cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
And?

X-rays are not capable of detecting stress micro fractures in carbon structures.

The OP will not be able to get any qualified, meaningful determination of the structural damage (if any) at anything below what the frame is worth.

It's a calculated risk whether to ride it or not. It's the OPs risk, and therefore his judgment call.

As I said earlier, in his shoes I'd ride it and not sweat it. He could and should cover the damage, both for cosmetics, but more importantly so that water doesn't enter the matrix through the cracked clear coat. Assuming he'll be mounting a FD on the frame he might see if he can get the same model as was used previously, though it won't make much difference either way.

BTW- I'm not being fatalistic, or taking a casual attitude about the possible risks. If I found similar damage in a more critical area, near a head joint, or on a fork, I'd scrap the frame without giving it a second thought.
So the fact that colnago provides x-rays with their forks to prove that their are sound is just a marketing exercise?