Old 10-15-09, 08:59 PM
spaceballs

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3/32" Chain question

Since I put my bike together, I have been using a KMC z610hx chain and I didn't have any problems until I cleaned it last night. I let it soak in Purple Power for a few hours, then pulled it off, rinsed in soapy water, then water, and then shaken and hung out to dry. I figured it would be nice and dry tonight, and it is. There is also rust around the bushings now...

After putting it back together, lubing it, and spinning the cranks, I have noticed that this chain is also very loud now. My chainline might be off by 2mm at most, which is close enough. In the past it hasn't made noise like that.

So now I am planning on replacing the chain, since they are cheap. I didn't really like the KMC z610hx because it wouldn't fit in my Park Chain tool [the smaller one], so I am looking for a 3/32" chain to get and had a couple of questions about chains.

Is there any advantage to using a single speed specific chain [like the z610] versus a regular old 8 or 9 speed chain? Multi-speed chains aren't ramped and pinned or anything like that, are they?

I have been meaning to upgrade the chain on my road bike [from a SRAM 10-speed chain to the lightweight 10-speed premium chain from KMC]. Is there any reason why using a new 10-speed chain would be a terribly bad idea?