View Single Post
Old 10-16-09, 09:39 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is this the bike?(from your RAGBRAI photos--nice journal.)

The stem looks like it has quite a bit of rise already, so a stem like a 25 degree or 40 degree wouldn't help much.
40 degree angle stem:

This is a stem extender. It clamps in place of your stem and has it's own top plate (and longer central bolt, I assume).

Your bike has a threadless stem. The fork's steerer tube extends up from the fork and the stem clamps onto it with the two bolts. The top bolt and cover are used to set how tight the stem pushes down against the bearings before the two bolts are tightened. EDIT--what norwood said--it's not hard, but you need to know how it all works together.

I don't know much about bike fitting. But your bars appear to be about level with the saddle. If you raise them a lot, you would put more weight on the seat, and less on your arms. Would that be better? I don't know.

Yes, that's the bike I rode on RAGBRAI.
Sounds like this is something I need to discuss with my LBS. I do have the uncanny ability to really mess up mechnical things.
For the time being, I've read about some core strengthening exercises that might help aleviate the back pain. Perhaps that will solve the problem. Being 52 and overweight I'm sure does not help the situation.