View Single Post
Old 10-18-09, 01:55 AM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sanfrancristo
Just bought my first singlespeed bike (Cannondale '09 Capo) and am concerned about the assembly job from the bike shop. My question is what level of scraping of the paint on the fork dropouts from the tightening of nuts is acceptable? This has a Slice Ultra fork which I believe is all carbon (with aluminum steerer). My previous road bikes have had unpainted aluminum fron dropouts so I never had this issue before.

I'm wondering if the paint is likely to chip off much more, and if there any structural ramifications. Obviously the teeth have to have something to grab into, but the other side just has imprints without any real scraping (but perhaps that's only temporary anyway?) As the main reason I bought this bike was obviously for the frame and fork, should I take this back? (I can return if I like)

Also, besides the aesthetic issue, I planned on switching to a quick-release axle for the front - which now seems to me like an impossibility due the extra tightening/loosening. Does anyone have an opinion on using a quick-release on a painted drop-out?

Couldn't find any info on this specific issue after looking around for a while - thanks in advance for the newbie help!

It's paint. Paint is not a structural component. I think you need to read-up on bicycle maintenance. This should have zero effect on a quick release.