Old 10-18-09, 11:07 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would add Bruce Gordon's Rock N Road Tour EX models to your short list that meet your 26 inch wheel and drop bar requirement . I have been riding a Ti BG RNR with 700c wheels since 1989 on and off pavement in N & S America including the Divide Ride. The only limit has been in the rider's skills not the bikes ability. My bike takes a maximum 700x47 tire with full fenders on 36 hole rims. I have never had a wheel problem in all these years.

Cyclists have been touring around the world for 100 years on 27 inch,700C, 650B and now 26 inch wheels and managing quite well. I still do not understand these attempts to make touring foolproof by choosing the current miracle wheel or tire size. I have tried them all in my touring life and each performed well but none provided any miracles.

Trying to control all of the variables of touring and equipment reduces the serendipity to an after thought instead of the main direct experience of traveling among new cultures in new places. Attitude is more important than equipment in my experience