Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmorrison
Greetings from Minneapolis,
My research has led me to choose between Co-Motion and Seven Cycles. Even though there are other bikes that are just as capable as these two brands, I want the highest quality frames and components for the trip. I want to lessen the risk of major problems when I am in the middle of nowhere. Truth be told, I'd also consider a Thorn Sherpa, but since there's no bike shops in the US (that I can tell) that sells them, I'm sticking with brands that shops near me carry.

Initial Considerations:
1. Must have drop bars and not flat handle bars. My current commuter / trail bike - a trek 7.5fx has flat handle bars. I find myself wanting more positions for hands on longer rides.

Other bars also give you multiple hand positions. But "flat" bars work best for Rohloff. There are work arounds for the latter, but I think (YMMV) they are awkward to use.

2. If I get a bike with 700c tires, I will have to carry a spare wheel.

No, you might need to bring a spare rim, tires, and tubes. There reason for this is that the 700c you do find in the hinterlands will be oriented towards 23mm racing tires and the 26" will be oriented towards MTB tires, the latter obviously more appropriate for touring. IMHO, you should have your own supply of tires and tubes anyway.

3. 36 spokes on the wheel is a must

Depends on your loaded weight, but 36 hole rims are much more available than 40 or 48 hole rims.

4. Open to Rohloff hubs but not a must. If I go with Rohloffs, I will carry at least 2 of the oil maintenance kits. Really leaning against Rohloffs for this trip due to length of the trip

Along with the twist shifter mounting problem alluded to above, there is the usual reason (besides expense) why Rohloffs have had slow adoption rates: derailler systems work just fine. Put aside the money you'll save to use in the event that you'll have to replace your stolen bike.

5. I will probably be pulling a trailer for at least part of the trip - due to needing an adequate water supply.

A trailer actually increases the variety of bikes that can be used.

6. Schwalbe for the tires.

Yes, but you'll be stuck with whatever tires you can get.

7. I want to be able to enjoy riding the bike when it is not loaded up with gear as well. ( I do plan on returning to a "normal" life after the trip )

I don't think there are any bikes that you won't enjoy riding after you get back, but if you want to road race or ride technical trails, you won't have the best bike for those respective purposes.

Current Bikes I am considering:
Co-Motion Pangea
Co-Motion Americano
Seven Cycles custom touring model.

Thoughts on the Pangea:
The Pangea has the 26" wheels that are more common throughout the world. The Pangea can also fit 3 water bottles. The Rohloff seems interesting but not entirely necessary. I know there are threads that express support for and against the Rohloff system. It also seems that the Pangea is pretty close in terms of the Thorn Sherpa World Tour drop bar spec.

Rohloff doesn't work with drop bars absent an awkward work around.

Thoughts on the Americano:
This seems to be Co-Motion's flagship touring bike. It borrows from their tandem bike expertise for the 145mm rear axle. It does take 700c wheel though, so carrying an extra wheel is probably a good idea. Like the Pangea, the americano can hold 3 water bottles. So it looks like the main difference is the wheels and size of the rear axles.

I have an Americano. If I were to do it again I might go with something with MTB rather than tandem dropout spacing so I can interchange wheels with a MTB. Also, tandem weight tubing is overkill for when one is reasonably loaded. The IF Independence was mentioned in a post above.

Thoughts on Seven Custom Bike:
This would give me the choice of titanium or steel frame. (Ha, I bet this would be another debate ). Thing is, I could just order the Co-Motion frame and choose my components just like the Seven. Seven does spend a lot time truly custom fitting the bike. I've already talked to the Seven dealer where I live as I wanted to find out more about the process. Titanium would be lighter than steel, but does cost more. Interestingly enough there is one touring model offered by Seven that does accept 26" or 700c tires called the Cafe Racer S. I'm wondering if that specific model would be suitable for loaded touring. One of the disadvantages of Seven is that the Cafe Racer S is the only bike that they classify as "touring" and as capable of taking 26" wheels. So if it wasn't able to handle loaded touring, I'd have to go with a frame that takes 700c wheels.

The lower weight of Ti would not be noticed on a loaded touring bike and if you were to break the frame, you can absolutely forget about getting it repaired. Again take the money you'll save on a chro-mo frame and add it to your stolen bike contingency fund. BTW, if you have a high quality thin walled cro-mo frame, chances of an adequate repair in the third world are also slim to none.

Solutions:
1. If the Cafe Racer S is deemed acceptable to handle loaded touring, i think that might be a good way to go. Otherwise Seven has no bike that is suitable for touring with 26" wheels.
2. The Co-Motion Pangea is an interesting alternative and would be a great way to bring down costs compared to the Seven bikes.
3. Go with a bike that does not have 26" wheels and carry a spare wheel on the trip.

Any additional thoughts/comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance..
Tim
For the epic journey you suggest, I would take a bike that I wouldn't so much mind abandoning if I needed to bail somewhere. Transporting a bike when sick, injured, or tired of traveling is a PITA and expensive - if it can be done at all. I know I'd regret leaving a $6-8,000 titanium frame Rohloff-equipped bike in some village somewhere.

If you're serious, I would consider the LHT frame (or equivalents) equipped with XT components (or equivalent) and lavish money on wheels instead.