View Single Post
Old 10-19-09, 10:11 AM
Blaireau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
The TTT didn't help Lance vs. Alberto this year - they were on the same team. Yet LA still finished on the podium in a very exciting race.

Besides, you seem to be judging relative performance based on the Lance you saw this year. Next year's Lance will be the New, Improved model. More HP, bigger tank. I expect him to be able to go heads up (or very nearly) with Alberto, with the team perhaps making the critical difference. And even if he loses, old age and guile will keep us on the edge of our seats.

My interpretation, anyway.
Interesting remarks.

Lance cannot beat Alberto head to head in any event save the TTT. Not in the mountains, not in a TT. The TTT was Lance's only chance of improving this year over Alberto. Just because in all likelihood his team will be better than Alberto's.
This chance is gone. Age and guile won't make a difference neither in the race of truth nor in the mountains. The race is over before it begun...
And to address your last remark: I think it is precisely because Lance and Alberto were on the same team that Alberto was not allowed to put in more time between them on the mountains.
I am disappointed by all of this, btw. I really don't want to spend 3 weeks watching a coronation.