View Single Post
Old 10-21-09, 05:23 PM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I was once out on a solo training ride, way, way out in the country. I got a flat in my tubular tire so put on my (only) spare tire. I rode a few hundred yards and the spare started leaking down too. I had at least 30 miles to get home and no patch-kit. I really, really was not looking forward to stopping and pumping up my tire every 200 yards for 30+ miles. I had $0.75 of change with me but no other resources or tools for getting the tire patched. I made my way several miles to a small country quicky-mart store and weighted my options. I used the change I had to buy a can of root-beer, the most sticky liquid available at the store. I used my mouth to fill the slow leaker tire with root-beer and then pumped it up crossing my fingers. At best, I was hoping that the root-beer "patch" would slow the leak down enough to let me ride several miles at a time, meaning I might only need to pump up my tire a dozen times instead of a hundred. The damm thing held pressure all the way home without needing to be re-filled and still had high pressure in in several days later. I wouldnt necessarily recommend proactivly filling your tires with root-beer, but it was great for getting out of a sticky situation!