View Single Post
Old 10-21-09, 07:38 PM
ConstantinosYEA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from somebody who did the exact same job search as you back in May when the shops actually had business, it WILL be hard. I had one year experience working at a co-op on campus at my college before i graduated and it still wasn't good enough for almost all the shops i went to.

The way it goes down is, if they like you, they will invite you to come work a shift at the shop. Then they call you later in the week and tell you if you have the job or not. I went to a couple of these and i didn't get offered the job from most of them because (1) i wasn't fast enough or (2) somebody with more experience with me came along. Applying for jobs at this time of year is going to be even harder for you. I ended up finding a shop and I am currently still working but i am getting laid off for december and january since business slows down. Almost ALL shops are slowing down now and they are cutting hours and laying off mechanics so i seriously doubt you will find a job at this time of year.

I am not trying to discourage you, but i am saying this is the wrong time to get into a bike shop. If you want to work in a shop, wait until march when the season kicks up again and they will actually be looking for mechanics.

On a side note, i also have a Bachelor's degree but i can't find a legit job in my field so i am working at a bike shop even though i would rather keep cycling as my hobby and not a career. It doesn't pay well at all nor does it include any benefits, other than having access to all the tools you could ever need.