View Single Post
Old 10-22-09, 07:31 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
With a hub dynamo system it should be possible to move the wheel between bikes as long as all have the same wheel diameter and adequate tire clearance for the largest tire that you use on the dynamo hub wheel.

Most dynamo headlights and taillights are not designed as quick release units but by installing plug type connectors on the wiring they could be made reasonably quick removal and install I believe. Put a wiring harness on each bike so the lights and dynamo hub just plug in for electrical connections.

The devil could be in the details however such as different headlight and taillight mounting requirements or provisions on various bikes. Also a 700C wheel cannot be moved to a MTB with 559mm rims. One bike with disc brakes and another with caliper brakes could also pose a problem. Many disc brake wheel rims are not designed for caliper brakes.

Sounds like an inteesting project but may require time and patience to work out all the details.
I can say that the electrical connection part on my Lumotec Cyo came with the quick-release plug. I assumed it was standard...so did my dynamo wheel...(or maybe just one of them came with it and I didn't know it?).

To the OP, are you moving just the light or the light *and* the wheel? The other guy has valid points that, obviously, a 700c road wheel isn't going to fit on a 26" mountain bike. And though a lot of the dynamo hubs come with an attachment for a disc brake, they might not work on a rim brake bike if the disc is still attached.

It also depends where you mount stuff, and what you mean by "fast". Do you mean 5 minutes, or 30 seconds? For where you mount stuff, you need to keep the wire running from the light down to the wheel out of the spokes of the wheel (or bad bad things will happen), but you might be able to rig something up with wire guides that would allow relatively fast removal. For the light itself, would it mount on the handlebars or at the fork crown? At the fork crown the light usually attaches by removing (and then putting back on) the front brake, not something that would be terribly fast, but not a huge amount of work either. Of course, you could just order extra light mounts and that would help, though you'd still likely need to unscrew the light...

I guess what I'm trying to say is - it is possible to move a dynamo light and wheel from bike to bike if you're willing to put the time into setting things up before hand and do some tinkering, in all likelyhood.

But if your question is "are dyamo lights easy to move as they are when they're ordered", no, they're rather designed to be put on one bike and stay there, moving them between different bikes requires some work and/or planning.

In general. Hmm, I think the Supernova E3 you can order with a quick release handlebar mount...