View Single Post
Old 08-01-02, 12:12 PM
Dwagenheim
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West Fork Campground 7.15.02

I woke early in the morning to the sound of a blender. Helga was preparing breakfast for her B&B guests. I entered the kitchen and handled the bacon while she set the table outside. The guests loved the meal and were quickly off to their next destination. I took a shower and got my last few things organized. Helga and I chatted a bit over a cup of coffee and some toast. Before I knew it, the time was nearing 11am so we had to say goodbye. Helga sent me off with a recipe for honey bars and I was off towards Tok city center. There wasn't much to stop for or photograph in Tok. I stopped at the visitors center and got some info on the Taylor Highway, then stopped at the supermarket for a couple of apples. As I was about ready to go, I spotted a touring cyclist riding down the road in the same direction I was about to go. I caught up to him and got his attention. His name was Christof, from Germany. He was headed towards the Canadian border but on the shorter route continuing on the Alaska Highway. He wasn't interested in detouring up towards Dawson Ciry because of the extra miles and mountains, so we split up after a short 12 miles at Tetlin Junction. Tetlin Junction is a ghost town made up of a few old buildings including a roadhouse (seems like every town in Alaska has a roadhouse) a mechanic shop and a couple of other shacks. I ate a couple slices of pizza leftover from last night and started on the Taylor Highway North towards Chicken. The day was bright and sunny. I could see miles around including the Alaska Range off to the West. There were ups and downs but the road was good so it wasn't nearly as bad as the Dalton Highway. I passed Mt. Fairplay, which was supposed to be pretty tall for out here, about 5,500 ft. When I looked at my altimeter, I realized I was up there as well, 3,500 ft! I continued riding through the inclines and declines, surprised at the number of campers on the road. In the evening, I came up to the West Fork Campground, where Helga recommended I stay the night. It was around 9pm and my legs were feeling good but I was ready to stop. I looked for the campground host, Don, and he welcomed me and waived the fee. He even offered me a burger and a beer. I gladly accepted his offer and we chatted along with another RV traveler named Mike until bedtime. (67 miles)

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!