Old 08-01-02, 12:25 PM
Dwagenheim
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braeburn Lodge's Monster Cinnamon Buns and great scenery into Whitehorse 7.28.02

I don't know whether I woke up early or late but it was hard getting started knowing I had a wet tent to pack and about 200 mosquitoes perched between the tent and the rain fly. I got going in the overcast weather and took a break after about 10 miles at the Montague Roadhouse, a historical sight. A German couple in an RV offered me some coffee and even gave me a time piece when I told them my watch broke. Cool! What wasn't cool was almost getting eaten alive by mosquitoes in the smelly outhouse. Before leaving, I got into a conversation with another couple who live just South of Fox Lake which is just North of Whitehorse. They were admiring my trailer and we talked about touring for a little bit as well. At about 4:30pm I made it to the Braeburn Lodge, home of the largest cinnamon buns you've ever seen. These things weigh about 2 lbs! I ate half a cinnamon bun and half a burger. I packed the rest and headed out to complete as much of the 55 more miles to Whitehorse as I could. There was a big fire in 1998 that left only charred black tree trunks. Fireweed grows all along the now exposed forest floor in a radiant purplish/pink. After my one and a half-hour break at the lodge, I was feeling pretty good. The ride was going smooth and I was enjoying the lovely scenery. I came up to Little Fox Lake and took some photos. After that it was Fox Lake, a huge lake that runs long along the highway. After passing Fox Lake, I realized how close I was to Whitehorse, but it was getting late and I wanted to make phone contact with someone in Whitehorse at a reasonable hour. I started to notice a change in scenery. There were ranches along the highway and homes with lots of acreage. I could tell I was approaching civilization or something like it. At Takhini Hot Springs Junction, I called up Cory and Chantel, who I met in Dawson City a week earlier. Cory told me I was welcome to pitch my tent in his yard. Before I left the Junction, I chatted with a couple of hitchhikers heading North and we shared a joint over conversation about the road and traveling. I headed off towards Whitehorse, the Capitol City of the Yukon Territory, which was about another 8 miles away. As I approached the city center, there was a rapid change from country to city. I guess I'll have to make a bit of a transition now. There was a nice 18.5% grade leading me into town that I was thankful to be going down instead of up. I made it to Cory's without any problem and spoke to him before I set up my tent. I ate the second half of that monster burger from Braeburn with some oatmeal crème pies I got from the Takhini gas station and went to sleep. (101 miles)

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!