Old 10-25-09, 03:19 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
As long as we are discussing studded tires, how long will a studded tire last being use on dry pavement?

That is the primary reason I am considering a studded tire for the front only. I happen to have an old front wheel in the garage that will receive a studded tire this winter, but since I live in Iowa it is only going to be brought out for a couple hundred miles.

I am reluctant to buy a second rear wheel and cassette that I am only going to use for a couple weeks a year.
It depends on if you get a tire with carbide studs or not. For someone who bikes commutes back and forth to work the entire winter long, steel studs have a reputation for lasting less than a year. For the same person, a tire with carbide studs has a reputation for lasting for 2-3 years, and the tire typically wears out before the studs do. Keep in mind that this is someone riding it constantly all winter long, sometimes with snow on the ground, though more than 50% of the time without, and pretty much always on streets.

I am not sure, as people do not post about it as often and it is not as interesting a topic, but I believe that these same people go through regular tires at about the same rate - one every 2-3 years.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-25-09 at 03:23 PM.