View Single Post
Old 10-27-09, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by jgjulio
I picked up a new 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0 for a great price during a Performance Bike clearance sale.

http://2009.fujibikes.com/Road/Sport/Newest10.aspx

I really like the bike but am having trouble adjusting to the handlebar diameter (circumference). They feel too narrow to me. Compared to other road bikes I ride these "feel" too skinny.

The handlebars are listed as being 26mm Anatomical Drops.
I don't know what the 26mm means - is that the circumference of the bar?

My question:

1. would using the gel pads that go under the bar tape help. The mechanic at the LBS stated that the gel pads make the handlebar feel too squishy.
(He suggested that I use gel gloves - I do and although it helps the bars still feel too skinny)
Or

2. Should I change the handlebar. If so what suggestions would you guys have for an inexpensive aluminum handlebar? What are the usual handlebar circumferences?

Thanks
The 26mm refers to the diameter of the handlebar at the stem. It means that they aren't oversized (31.8mm). The width of the bar is measured across the bar at the brake hoods (outside to outside). That width can come in a variety of widths. It's usually tied to the size of the bike but not always. They should be somewhat proportional to your shoulders. It's a relatively easy fix but will require retaping and moving the levers from one bar to the next.

The tape and the gloves won't do anything for the width, i.e. from brake lever to brake lever. It will increase the diameter of the bar, i.e. what you wrap your hands around.

There are lots of bars out there in a range of prices and bends. I'd suggest you get the width of the ones you have now and then go looking for something wider. If you like the bend of the ones that are currently on the bike, perhaps trading up to a wider size of those is most prudent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!