View Single Post
Old 03-21-05, 09:59 AM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Saddle Review Thread

If you feel like it, post your experiences too.

Over time, I'll post in this thread to describe the break-in process. I'm doing this cuz when I got the saddle, I couldn't believe how hard it was. Figure I'd follow up from my other thread asking about which saddle is right for me.

I went with the B17N, despite the advice to go standard (versus narrow) cuz it was a little wider than my current saddle. Since I like my Terry Fly, I didn't want to change the shape too much.

I put the saddle in front of a space heater to warm it up and applied Proofide. How much this helps break it in, not sure, but that seemed to be the recommendation. Plus, it should protect the saddle in various weather.

Ride 1: 3 miles -- seriously, you people like this? friggin' sickos. I stopped riding cuz of the weather, not the saddle, but still, it's a rock.

Ride 2: 35 miles. Surprisingly not too bad. No real discomfort. Maybe proofide sitting for a couple of days helped?

Ride 3: 43 miles and 5000' gain. My butt hurt, so much so that I put more pressure on my feet than normal and for the first time in six months, my feet hurt. Two days later, my butt's still sore.

HOWEVER, I'm confident that it's breaking in and will be a great saddle for years to come. I think it's gonna take 200-300 more miles before it really starts to conform. I'll put more Proofide on and see if that expedites the process.

ADVICE mostly for less serious/experienced rides (those like me):
Get your saddle after you've conditioned your bottom. I only had ~400 miles this year, after taking off a couple of months, when I started to break in my saddle. Maybe get yours towards the end of your typically season. I say this cuz it's affecting my base miles. I rode the 43 miles Saturday and didn't feel like riding on Sunday (drinking 'til 2am didn't help either ). I'll be riding tonight, but it'll hurt.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting this awesome saddle, but there always seems to be so many questions about Brooks.