View Single Post
Old 10-27-09, 02:08 PM
ElliotSF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Bridgestone X0-3 or Austro-Daimler?

Could you-all help me with a dilemma? I have found in my region a 1993 Bridgestone X0-3, dark green and in very good condition, with the original moustache bars. Asking price $400. I have also found an old Austro-Daimler, with a lugged 531 frame and in fair condition and in dire need of a thorough tuneup, for $75.

Both bikes are my size. I have not seen the Austro-Daimler yet, because it's not near where I live. I have asked the seller to tell me the model, but have not yet received an email reply. But I can see in a photo that the bike has Shimano 300EX parts on it. The bike is dark purple, with original drop bars and downtube shifters.

My question: If I buy the Austro-Daimler for just $75, could I throw, say, $150 at it and make it a lot like the Bridgestone? (That is, with upright handlebars and medium-wide tires?) My goal is to have a sturdy, smooth-riding "country bike" that I can ride on city pavement--essentially I want an X0-3 or something similar, but ideally for less than $400!

Then again, is $400 perhaps a fair price for a 1993 Bridgestone X0-3 in very good condition?

Thanks for your thoughts!