Old 10-27-09, 02:10 PM
Tom Velo Orange
Bike ***** Poster

Bikes: Velo Orange, '91 Wicked Fat Chance, '99 Sycip Hardtail, '02 Sycip Pave custom, Benotto fixed, a playafied Bridgestone MB-3 and a bunch of hacks, beaters, townies, and 'projects'.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ciocc- how to date? Worthy of restoration?

A friend has been using a Ciocc as her daily beater/commuter/ farmers market bike for the past 10 years. It's covered with nail polish and stickers with a blackburn rack ghetto clamped to it for an all around theft proof looking 'patina'. I saw seatstay caps with 'Ciocc' and my jaw dropped....

It was a garage sale find.

There's interest in doing some restoration type work on it on her part. I'm not sure of the exact direction to advise: Concours d' Elegance level, or a period daily rider? Strip off the stickers and hang a bunch of Campag on it? Or just upgrade the generic singlewall alloy rim/alloy hub J&B wheels that are on it now? It's not a Masi or Cinelli, but it's at least made in Italy, and at least old enough for it to be included in discussions here.

How do I deterrmine a more exact age? Did Ciocc ever spec Shimano on their bikes? At what level, beginning when?

Where I am gloriously embarking on another vintage time toilet. I just hope it's worth the effort.