Old 10-29-09, 09:27 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
To reiterate, when setting up the original derailler, I first set my low stop for the minimum of clearance to the chain in the little/big combo. I then added tension using the barrle adjuster to remove the slack from the cable. I then tried to shift up. The shift did not complete so I kept adding more tension until it did.
Ok, that's how it should work.

However, I then tried the little/big combo again and found the chain to be rubbing. I had added so much tension to the cable that I pulled the FD off the inner-limit screw. As soon as I released that tension to get the clearance in the little/big again and to allow the FD to rest on the inner limit screw, the shift would no longer complete.
Why did you release tension on the cable? It's really to change the position of the FD on the inner-click right? Even without the inner-limit screw in place, the FD would still be in that position as dictated by cable-tension. It just happened that the position with lower tension touched the limit-screw because the FD moved further inwards... due to lower cable-tension.

Without adjusting tension, I could also turn the inner limit screw in further (causing rub in the little/big) and get the shift to complete.
Now here's the part I don't get. The outer position of the FD on the click is what determines how well the shift goes. Even before the lever has clicked into that position, the FD would've moved off the inner-limit screw anyway, so how can that affect shifting? Strange...