Old 03-21-05, 08:20 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the off season when its damn cold I lifted a little bit. I focused entirely on legs, but all aspects of the legs. I'm a firm believer that I have enough arm muscle right now (which is not much) to ride a bike. Any more muscle on my arms is extra weight to drag up the hill. I WOULD work on the lower core (abs / lower back) but I haver plently of muscle there from playing the big bass drum in college marching band in the fall. Strapping on 35-40 pounds and walking or running around for 2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week does wonders for core strength. I can honestly say my lower back is jacked... I've got some nice abs, but theres a bit of puppy fat over them that I'd liek to get rid of (not for looks, I don't care about that, but becasue fat = dead weight). Problem is that now I'm getting into the season and while I've lost a lot of fat in the pre-season my training is shifting away from the fat-burning type workouts and towards the muscle building stuff. Once the college season is over and I start training for next season this summer (beginning with Ride the Rockies training in june, then the actual ride in July) I will start with lots of aerobic workouts to get that fat off of me. I'm not looking to be at 5% body fat (it would be nice, but that can't be done year round IMO) I just want to get rid of the VISIBLE pudge..

Wow, sorry for the rant.