Old 10-30-09, 12:31 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist

i know nun's mileage differs on this one but i don't think saddlebags make a practical choice for full kit loaded touring
Ahh! I've become too predictable. I'm of the school that getting the weight as close to the center of mass, ie my butt and stomach, is the way to minimize it's affect on handling. But I realize that most people will not use a saddlebag for self supported touring, most people will want the extra capacity of panniers. However, the saddlebag is the perfect way to do a credit card tour. If you are setting off on a 5 day tour of Vermont country inns the saddlebag/handlebar bag combo is the natural way to go. I just visited friends in Woods Hole, MA and the saddlebag/handlebar bag combo gave me enough space for all my gear and in no way affected the bike's handling. I supported the Nelson Longflap with an Expedition Bagman and was out of the saddle riding agressively a lot of the time. I could throw the bike from side to side in a way that would be impossible with loaded panniers and I rode the 90 miles from Boston to Woods Hole in 6 hours saddle time so you can make good time as well.