Thread: Cargo trike
View Single Post
Old 10-30-09, 06:32 PM
jart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Mecurio cargo trike that i bought off of craigslist from a guy who brought one up from mexico. It's got a ton of cargo capacity, obviously, and i'll let you guys know a couple of things about them:
- as mentioned, the pivot point is at the back of the box, which makes it pretty unstable at high speeds, it's easier with a load but still possible to tip to the side and hard to keep in a straight line. you get used to it after awile, but you'll never be going faster than 8-10 mph. on ours we changed the chainring and cog to a 32-19 or something like that, it came geared really stiff. (44-16 IIRC)
- the wheels are 26 inch and easy to replace (the stock ones are pretty terrible)
- the axles on the stock wheels have some crazy thread pattern that we couldn't find a matching nut for (the bike was missing a nut on the right front wheel). we looked everywhere and our only option was to have a nut custom machined and we would have had to order thousands of them, so obviously we bought a new wheel (with a different size axle) and rigged it to fit.
all in all though, it's a great utitlity bike and definatley turns some heads, especially with a gringo riding it. while most of the stock stuff is crap, the frame itself is sturdy and built like a tank. with a little improvosational skills you can make it do alot of crazy stuff! I paid 200 for mine, but it was pretty beat up, i wouldn't want to pay much more unless it was brand new.
-