Thread: wheel truing
View Single Post
Old 08-02-02, 09:09 AM
cogito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regards to attempting to true these wheels, let me give you a wheelbuilder's point of view.

First, any low spoke count wheel will be harder to true, and paired spoke wheels, like the Bontrager, are even more difficult. The problem is that each spoke carries a higher percentage of the load. If the rim is even slightly bent, it will be impossible to true.

Another problem with these types of wheels is that a spoke failure, especially on the rear wheel (which is the likeliest place!) often results in a wheel that will not clear the brake pads even with the brake QR open! I've seen it many times as I do a lot of volunteer wrenching on rides here in Ohio. People are very upset that they cannot finish a ride due to a single broken spoke! I try to keep a few spokes with me, but these days there are so many permutations of spokes and nipples, that it's difficult to keep spares around for every conceivable failure.

So why have these wheels become so widely embraced? In my opinion, because they look cool. Pretty shallow reason, but then look at the other dubious trends in the bike manufacturing business. Also, notice how individual rim weights are never listed? Those rims are very heavy!! So often, a customer will complain about frame weight, which doesn't REALLY matter all that much , then buy wheels that are 200+ grams heavier than what I could have built for them. I offer a lifetime spoke breakage and truing warranty, too!!

So, back to your question...

I see self-trued wheels nearly every day. Often, they are a mess of rounded of spoke nipples, mixed tensions, and accelerated fatigue. Without a tensiometer, anything but a very minor tweak should not be attempted, especially on low spoke count wheels. Not to sound alarmist, but your safety is also at stake. I've seen one these wheels turn into a potato chip during a turn in a crit. Man, what a mess. The guy had given his wheel a "quick true" before the race, gotten the tension to high and blammo! Ruined his day, his wheel, and the skin on his left leg!!

Last edited by cogito; 08-02-02 at 09:13 AM.