Old 03-22-05, 04:06 PM
DriveBy
Fastest rider in my house

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for info. I'd love to do that much if I had time for it. I should have included the following info in the initial question, but I was trying not to make the post too long.

As it is, I have absolutely no time in the morning (I run with my squadron 3 times a week in the morning, and the other 2 days I take over the kid duties from my wife).

In the evenings, I have about an hour today and Thursday, and maybe 2 hours on Wednesday assuming I can get home a little early.

I know, it sounds like I'm making excuses. Well, here's another one. I just looked and the tree outside my window is bent over. After that I checked the weather site and the winds are 22 mph gusting to 27 mph. As soon as I saw that I decided to ride the trainer today. I can get some work done at the same time, so maybe I can ride for a longer period today (probably an hour).

I do expect to have, as you understated so well, "a bit of pain and mental torture" on Saturday. I had that Sunday during the 45 as well. I just want to finish, that's all. Eventually I'll be able to do that distance without the pain, but until then I'll grind through it. I wish I could spend more time this week preparing, but I'll do what I can.

Thanks very much for the tips. I'm horrible about remembering to stretch, but I'll do it this week and on Saturday. I love energy gels. On Sunday I had one every hour, but I'll take your advice and make it every 45 minutes on Saturday.

Can you define "good carb" pasta? I was thinking of just having spaghetti or something Friday night, but should I be looking at something different?

Sleep is an easy one. Since I started riding regularly I've been sleeping like a rock. I used to have trouble every once in a while, but not lately.

In answer to your first question, I registered for this ride a month ago, and ended up getting the flu just as I started to get ready. That reduced my riding time for a couple of weeks. Even after I thought I was better I'd start feeling sick after about half an hour. I finally felt 100% again about a week ago, so I felt pretty good about going from no more than 25 miles on flat to rolling roads to getting sick to Sunday's 45 with hills. I keep reminding myself that Saturday is only 10 miles further, and there are rest stops every 10-12 miles if I need a quick breather.

Again, I really appreciate the info.