View Single Post
Old 11-03-09, 04:22 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The technology exists, and may soon be cost effective, for self-driving cars to avoid collision with lawfully operating cyclists. Tracking the same-direction motion of an upright warm body on the roadway ahead is easier than seeing the lines on the road through a construction zone in the rain and much easier than predicting the actions of children on a neighborhood street or even adult pedestrians downtown.

The big question in my mind is, will the level of caution required by the robot driver, in order to protect the deep-pocket car manufacturer from negligence lawsuits, require too slow a speed to suit the preferences of buyers?

That is, if a typical human driver would save time by passing at unsafe distance with oncoming traffic, but a robot driver would not, will car buyers want the robot driver?

I am reminded of Asimov's robot novels, where humans would confidently boss around robots, and often depended on the robots to rescue them, because the First Law. I wonder if cyclists might learn to do the same to robot drivers.