View Single Post
Old 11-04-09, 12:49 AM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Finally got back on the bike last week after almost 4 weeks off (illness, travel, minor knee injury).

Saturday just ran some errands in Pescadero, made good time despite some strong headwinds and a heavy load so I was feeling pretty good about not losing too much fitness.

Sunday went up Alpine and back, again, not too bad time despite stopping for a few pictures. I was most happy that my knee held up to all the climbing. On the way back I was passed by a Lexus SUV on the first mile uphill portion, I caught it later down the hill, followed it for a while, he eventually pulled over for me just before the real descent ends and I somehow managed to keep well ahead of it even in the more level part at the bottom (he finally passed me again after I got onto Haskins). Oh and a jeep tried to take me out by driving on the wrong side of the road in a blind corner.

The other ride I had was a bit more of an adventure, that was last Wednesday. I had ridden the Duc to my husband's office and we took his '62 Falcon for a little outing. He convinced me it would be too cold to ride home so I planned to go home with him. Before we headed home I had noticed that his taillights were out so we stopped off at Kragen for a fuse. Fixed the fuse and while we were still in the Kragen parking lot, the fuel pump stopped working. Tried some guerrilla repairs but no go. However, we did have the Birdy in the trunk, so while he waited for the tow truck, I rode the Birdy in moto gear (helmet in the backpack) on San Antonio Rd in the dark (I had lights) to his office so I could get the Duc and ride it home for our other car.

Just as I got onto the overpass on San Antonio Rd I discovered that my seatpost QR was loose, so I was gradually sinking as I went up and luckily reached the crest just as the seat hit bottom and I couldn't pedal anymore (it's not a great bike for standing), seat was now about 18" too low as I coasted downhill to somewhere I could actually pull over and fix it. Exciting, but I hope to avoid more rides like that in the future.