gotls1
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaosm
Congratulations!!
I don't think I will ever get down that far. I started at 302 a couple of years ago. Made it down to 225 earlier this year and started biking. Now I am just under 200 and I've been there for awhile now. It's like I've hit a wall. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week along with biking at least for 4-5 hours on the weekend. I guess on a positive note I am down to 1 bp med and hope to come off of it soon. Any special things you are doing at the gym? I am kinda limited as I have some knee issues and have a hard time walking. Actually I can bike for longer than I can walk. Would love to hear some of your routines.

LindaN
Hi Linda. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing over 100 lbs is a fantastic achevement. Also, great news on being able to cut down the meds. I wasn't at the point where I needed any bp/cholesterol/blood sugar medications, but I was definitely on the road to them when I decided to make a change.

I go to the gym three times a week - once with my trainer and twice on my own. Each time I'm there, I do exercises that address the biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back, abs, quads, hamstrings, and calves. I know a lot of people who weight train do upper body one day and lower body another, but I can't keep track of all that at 5:30 am so I just do the whole body each time I go. I'll do two sets of each exercise for about 10-12 reps and alternate them with another exercise. So for example, I'll do one set of whatever I'm doing for my biceps then I'll do a set of my shoulder exercise, then back to biceps, etc. I try and use the heaviest weight I can as well, so that towards the end of my second set I'm at failure. If I can do 13 or 14 reps of an exercise on my second set and could still do more, I'll up the weight next time I do that exercise.

When I see my trainer he also has me do pylometric exercises mixed in with the weight training to get my heart rate up. For example he'll have me do burpees on a medicine ball, or lunges while swinging a medicine ball, or my personal favorite (NOT!) hopping on one foot while holding a 35 lb plate horizontal at chest height. That last one got my heart rate up to 198 - something that I didn't think was possible at 34. Given your knee issues that might not be a great one to try though.

While I've come to appreciate weight training and I'm even starting to look forward to my weekly butt-kickings from my trainer, I really feel like the majority of my recent progress is due to the eating plan he gave me. I'd probably say it's 75% eating, 15% cardio, and 10% weight training. If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

-M