Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Show Your Handcycles!

    I post mainly in the C&V sub-forum and occasionally in the Mechanics sub-forum. But, I would like to voice my support for this sub-forum and hope that it serves as a helpful resource for cycling enthusiasts.

    On a recent trip to Idaho I visited with my friends Mike and Tammy. They live in Sun Valley near the Sawtooth sub range of the Rocky Mountains. The scenery there is fantastic and both road and mountain biking are very popular. There is lots of climbing as you'd expect.

    Mike and Tammy are both very hard-working, outgoing people who have always been very active. Tammy has done all sorts of "extreme" sports, even before there was such a term, and used to race the very long motocross races (enduro?). It was in one of these races about 20 years ago in which she crashed and, as a result, was paralyzed from the waist down. Like so many, she has played the hand she was dealt to win. She is very inspirational.

    She showed me both of her handbikes recently and I took several photos with my cell phone as I'm a gear head and thought these machines were so cool!

    This is her first handbike. I'm not sure of the vintage, but a quick look at the components indicates it's 20 years old or more. Phil and Suntour are there to get the job done. I love the butterfly shifters.















    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here is Tammy's newest bike. She and Mike researched a lot of the components and built it up from the frame. Mike told me who the frame builder is, but I can't recall. I gather he has not built a great deal. One of the coolest features of this bike is the Bionx power assist. I thought this bike was so interesting and lament the fact that I didn't take it for a spin.



















    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  4. #4
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,762
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow.

    They're both front wheel drive. Both rear wheels are just there for the ride.

    I've seen some hot new racing tricycle, with regular leg-cranks. It's rear wheel drive and has two wheels in front and one in back. Both of these designs have the drivetrain powering only one drive wheel, as things always are on bicycles. Seems more efficient than two-wheel drive on a tricycle, no?

    But with a front wheel drive recumbent tricycle, hand- or leg-cranked, is there a problem with traction going uphill?
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  5. #5
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure, Tom. I'd suppose it'd be a question of weight distribution regarding the traction.

    I have a lot more questions than answers regarding these bikes and I'm looking forward to hearing from posters who have experience with handcycles because I find them so cool.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member runner pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Turlock, Ca
    My Bikes
    XLT Pro handcycle
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine. Invacare XLT Pro. Purchased in 2005.


    I've never had trouble with traction uphill. Steepest climb was about 11% over maybe 200 yds. Cranking very hard, no loss of grip.

  7. #7
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Wow.

    They're both front wheel drive. Both rear wheels are just there for the ride.

    I've seen some hot new racing tricycle, with regular leg-cranks. It's rear wheel drive and has two wheels in front and one in back. Both of these designs have the drivetrain powering only one drive wheel, as things always are on bicycles. Seems more efficient than two-wheel drive on a tricycle, no?

    But with a front wheel drive recumbent tricycle, hand- or leg-cranked, is there a problem with traction going uphill?
    Most old style trikes don't actually power both rear wheels. The"reverse" trike is called a tadpole, they're becoming very popular, I'm working on building one myself. And yes, the single drive wheel usually has plenty enough traction on pavement. A lot of non-disabled people ride them just for fun.

    Handcycles are something I have no experience with, though. How do they steer? How well does regular gearing work with them?

  8. #8
    Senior Member runner pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Turlock, Ca
    My Bikes
    XLT Pro handcycle
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The front fork, wheel, handle bar and crank assembly pivot just like the fork on a DF.
    Mine has mountain bike gearing. Climbing is still not easy.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Not mine. But this guy beat me in the Dutch Country Bicycle Race in Hamburg, PA.





    This guy beat me in the race too, but not on the handcycle:


  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    From the French Creek Iron Tour, June 2010, the toughest rider on the century route:




  11. #11
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,643
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you use standard bike hubs in rear wheels, or do you need something specifically designed for the one side support?
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  12. #12
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post
    Can you use standard bike hubs in rear wheels, or do you need something specifically designed for the one side support?
    Most front hubs use 9mm axles, which aren't strong enough. If you were building them yourself, you could use BMX hubs with 14mm axles and re thread them to one side. They use wheelchair hubs a lot of times, there are very few specific trike hubs.

  13. #13
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want this to come off "wrong" because I have no disability except for a bit of judgement impairment from time to time, but I've wanted a handcycle for so many years. I can't stand to exercise for the sake of exercise. I love to ride bikes, but I get very little upper body workout. I'm sure I'd ride the heck out of a handcycle just for a nice time on a different kind of bike...the byproduct being a good workout. One day I plan to have one.

    I was talking with a gentleman tonight about this on a MUP. He was on one and I was totally fascinated.

    Props to him for having polio and still riding. For having CHF and COPD and still riding. For riding while wearing oxygen cannula. I was pretty inspired.

    I wouldn't think so, but would some think it "taboo" to ride one even if your legs work just fine?

  14. #14
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I wouldn't think so, but would some think it "taboo" to ride one even if your legs work just fine?
    I'm sure there's a few people who would make an issue of it, but I imagine it would be rare. I'm fascinated by alternative cycles too.

  15. #15
    Senior Member runner pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Turlock, Ca
    My Bikes
    XLT Pro handcycle
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think so. You might get some flack from the able-bodied who might feel "duped" that you're not disabled or you're trying to "pass" for some reason.
    You will get a LOT of attention while riding along with the assumption that you're a paraplegic.

  16. #16
    Chainstay Brake Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,851
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my arms are getting tired reading this thread some awesome trikes in here.
    1986 Diamondback Apex ~ 1988 Diamondback Ascent EX ~ 1989 Jamis Dakar ~ 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1993 Trek 8300 Composite ~ 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium ~ 1995 Diamondback Apex

    Join the Chainstay Brake Mafia!

  17. #17
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
    I wouldn't think so. You might get some flack from the able-bodied who might feel "duped" that you're not disabled or you're trying to "pass" for some reason.
    You will get a LOT of attention while riding along with the assumption that you're a paraplegic.
    When I was offered the chance to ride a handcycle, I turned it down. I've become someone skittish about them since so many people here on Bike Forums seem to think I need one for some reason or another.

  18. #18
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,012
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I don't want this to come off "wrong" because I have no disability except for a bit of judgement impairment from time to time, but I've wanted a handcycle for so many years. I can't stand to exercise for the sake of exercise. I love to ride bikes, but I get very little upper body workout. I'm sure I'd ride the heck out of a handcycle just for a nice time on a different kind of bike...the byproduct being a good workout. One day I plan to have one.

    I was talking with a gentleman tonight about this on a MUP. He was on one and I was totally fascinated.

    Props to him for having polio and still riding. For having CHF and COPD and still riding. For riding while wearing oxygen cannula. I was pretty inspired.

    I wouldn't think so, but would some think it "taboo" to ride one even if your legs work just fine?
    Make its drive like a rowing machine and foot steered.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  19. #19
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    When I was offered the chance to ride a handcycle, I turned it down. I've become someone skittish about them since so many people here on Bike Forums seem to think I need one for some reason or another.
    WTF????
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  20. #20
    No Money and No Sense sillygolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anderson, MO
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do the rear wheels have a sharp caster angle instead of being upright? What sort of gearing do you aim for with these?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I ride fixed because I'm mad at my parents. **** you Mom!

  21. #21
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    My Bikes
    carbon road bike,mtb bike
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    my arms are getting tired reading this thread some awesome trikes in here.
    the bike is very nice out look,so cool you are.haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •