Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

View Poll Results: Earphones: yea or nay? (There's no electoral college here.)
I wear earphones while riding, at least sometimes 37 33.94%
I've tried them, won't do it again 13 11.93%
Haven't tried them, might 10 9.17%
Have never tried them, never will 49 44.95%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-16, 04:17 PM   #76
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Efficient in communicating the intent to traffic behind to change lanes or left/right turns.
People behind you are entitled to know your intent also, are they not?

Do you mystically "pass right through," those you are passing or do you change your lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Not very effective for signalling passing and actually confusing leaving your turn signal on while passing.
I see turn signals being used all the time while passing and I know exactly what is going to transpire a vast majority of the time. I look at a vehicle with its turn signal on in certain situations and I say to my self, "Self, that car up ahead is going to change lanes and pass another vehicle."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Why not use hand signals for your passing if you claim such signal are so efficient for passing?
I said "turn signal," and you exclude all the other things of which you then write.

Some sort of signal is required by law if you are going to pass another vehicle. I do not know if it applies to cycling.

The question to which I responded was whether intent to pass is communicated. The answer is yes. The method is, "turn signal." And to think only the person ahead of you is entitled to perceive your intent to pass is pretty disingenuous.
jeichelberg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 04:21 PM   #77
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Not very effective for signalling passing and actually confusing leaving your turn signal on while passing. Why not use hand signals for your passing if you claim such signal are so efficient for passing?
As an aside, do you know the law for signaling while driving a motor vehicle if you are going to pass another vehicle?

I do not know what the specific law states. I do know what I was required to do as a CDL Class A Operator while driving for my last company (I do not know if it is the law). I was required to activate my signal, leave it on through the entirety of the pass, then activate the opposite blinker and leave it on until the pass was entirely complete.
jeichelberg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 04:25 PM   #78
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Are you PWI?

Posting while intoxicated.

PS1 - If English is your second language, then be more careful with what comes out of the translator.
PS2 - But searching your prior post, I see you are in Seattle, so PWI is more likely.
Not pwi I use a chunked tablet
Mr. 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 04:39 PM   #79
ZmanKC
Senior Member
 
ZmanKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Overland Park, KS
Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Same thing per the OP's definition in the OP.
Not the same to me, though. That's why I clarified. I wouldn't wear earphones, but I do wear one or two earbuds.
ZmanKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 04:53 PM   #80
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Bikes: Garage full of bikes
Posts: 2,411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajkollme View Post
But in the examples you provided, no warning was given.


Additionally, hearing is not a sense that is required for safety. All that is required is that somebody visually check their surroundings before changing directions.

Sorry, but I am just not interested in a nerd fight.
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:13 PM   #81
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 1,949
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Which all leaves room for the best of the wired headphones to be better than the best of the bluetooth headphones.
If I were mastering and editing a recording, I'd choose my studio monitor in-ear with custom molded ear pieces - with wires. I wouldn't wear them on a bicycle to listen to compressed content on my iPhone. But that's just me.

Perhaps you are one of those folks who purchases mass quantites of oxygen-free copper "interconnects" so that you can plug in your so sweet Dr. Beets? There's a sucker born....


-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:14 PM   #82
Ajkollme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hartford, CT
Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Sorry, but I am just not interested in a nerd fight.
Nerd fight? I thought this was a reasonable discussion about pedestrian and cyclist safety. Isn't that what happens in the a/s forum?
Ajkollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:28 PM   #83
italktocats
Senior Member
 
italktocats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
What.., cycling's not exciting enough for you? You have to "entertain" yourself? How about a nice, compact televison for your handlebars? Sorry, I just can't understand not being totally invested in the experience. One reason I ride is to get away from media saturation.
screenglare
italktocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:29 PM   #84
italktocats
Senior Member
 
italktocats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Are you PWI?

Posting while intoxicated.

PS1 - If English is your second language, then be more careful with what comes out of the translator.
PS2 - But searching your prior post, I see you are in Seattle, so PWI is more likely.
i dont think people use a translator for their 2nd language..
italktocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:31 PM   #85
italktocats
Senior Member
 
italktocats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
The headphones are not incidental to the lesson. The lesson being that a pedestrians ability to hear me announcing my approach can enhance safety.
you mean use hearing to compensate for USING YOUR EYES? kinda what people do in cars? hear no evil see no evil?
italktocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:43 PM   #86
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes: Shooting for a family of six
Posts: 4,829
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
I can make a very realistic beep noise and loudly too.


That Coyote can't catch me either.
__________________
Proud expectant father of a Shelby Traveler, number five of a family of six, then I go to Planned Bikehood to tie my chain! :)
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:45 PM   #87
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes: Shooting for a family of six
Posts: 4,829
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajkollme View Post
Nerd fight? I thought this was a reasonable discussion about pedestrian and cyclist safety. Isn't that what happens in the a/s forum?

You're new here, I guess. Give it time and you'll be arguing with the best of us.
__________________
Proud expectant father of a Shelby Traveler, number five of a family of six, then I go to Planned Bikehood to tie my chain! :)
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 09:47 PM   #88
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87 View Post
Some sort of signal is required by law if you are going to pass another vehicle.
Motorist pass each other on freeways all the time on the freeway without legally being required to use a turn signal. Most of the laws that apply state that the lanes operate independently.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 09:52 PM   #89
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
If I were mastering and editing a recording, I'd choose my studio monitor in-ear with custom molded ear pieces - with wires. I wouldn't wear them on a bicycle to listen to compressed content on my iPhone. But that's just me.

Perhaps you are one of those folks who purchases mass quantites of oxygen-free copper "interconnects" so that you can plug in your so sweet Dr. Beets? There's a sucker born....


-mr. bill
Are you talking about yourself, because I certainly do not purchase the low quality hyped BS as you try to imply.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 09:54 PM   #90
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
i dont think people use a translator for their 2nd language..
Depends on how good they are at their second language. But since the post was made by someone using their first language, you should be commenting about that.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 10:43 PM   #91
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Single earbud should have been an option. I use a stereo to mono earbud so I selected earphones for my answer.
Bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 11:54 PM   #92
905
waiting for my name tag
Thread Starter
 
905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for taking part in the poll, flawed though it may be. Kind of wish I’d added the one ear option. Guess I mentally shuffled it into the first option. The simpler the poll the better, I thought.

Also, mea culpa, there is enough of a difference between earbuds and earphones to make clear the distinction, as the latter are configured to block out more environmental noise because they burrow into the canal. (Until I read up on them just now I thought I used earphones. I don’t.) My chief interest wasn’t in the exact delivery system, but if you’re plugged in at all; and if not, if the perception of danger kept you from doing it, or your experience informed you.

That aside, my own thinking is that mono is actually “worse”. I’ve never tried it, except involuntarily when one side goes bad, which completely ruins it for me. This was also addressed by a commenter elsewhere:

Quote:
as someone with a degree in Sound Recording, whose dissertation was on spatial perception and localisation of sound sources, I feel the need to point out that having an earphone in one ear effectively makes your hearing one-dimensional in terms of ability to pinpoint sound sources (e.g. cars, pedestrians, fellow riders). This is because localisation relies almost entirely on your brain comparing the relative volume and time of arrival of sounds between your ears; if one of them is isolated (blocked, for instance by an earphone), the brain has no frame of reference.
A way to test this is to block one ear with a finger, and you'll have less ability to tell where a sound is coming from. Within reason, obviously.
I’ve never tried audio books either, so this is speaking from ignorance, but I’d think there would be a greater possibility of distraction – if only because songs have a certain expected rhythm, but who knows where a book will take you! However, I reckon that those who read with their ears or listen to podcasts can manage just fine.

I see no evidence that riding* with ‘buds or ‘phones causes harm to anyone (which is not to say some don’t come to grief while wearing them; people come to grief for all manner of reasons). Clearly it has the power to offend sensibilities about what cycling should be.

When Boris Johnson was London mayor and suggested the practice be banned**


Boris not being distracted

I got ready to mourn having to leave my ears open for the abuse regularly handed out by cabbies & the like. Put me solidly in the Leave Me Alone camp. Or the Whatever Works For You camp, if they'll have me.

* it's my view that pedestrians are more likely to get lost in their music than cyclists
** so far it hasn't been, but I expect that eventually 'ealth and safety will win the day

Last edited by 905; 12-20-16 at 04:14 AM. Reason: 'ealth and safety
905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 06:31 AM   #93
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Motorist pass each other on freeways all the time on the freeway without legally being required to use a turn signal. Most of the laws that apply state that the lanes operate independently.
I am not sure this is correct; however, it is certainly sub-topical at this moment.
jeichelberg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 07:35 AM   #94
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Bikes:
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I might get annoyed when cycling or walking if someone directed what I view as pointless, unwelcome and unnecessary "communications" at me. I wouldn't care if passing or not; if someone wants to pass just do it and without the drama.
That's exactly how I like to do it, without drama. I don't like unnecessary communication either. I'd prefer never to say anything if possible.
bikecrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 07:39 AM   #95
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Bikes:
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
OH MY you are annoyed at me. I really do not care if you are annoyed. I already saw you coming, know how far back you are, know how fast you are riding and can see if you are going to pass me close or not.

Too often the people without the headphones are the ones that go all erratic when someones intentions are announced and heard.
I'm not sure why I would be annoyed with you. You sound like a considerate cyclist who is aware of their surroundings. I'd have no reason to even communicate my passing.
bikecrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 09:12 AM   #96
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Bikes: Novara Mazama
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
You left out the wear them in one ear option.
+1. Single earbud in the non-traffic side, at a level that is discernible but doesn't drown much else out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
What.., cycling's not exciting enough for you? You have to "entertain" yourself? How about a nice, compact televison for your handlebars? Sorry, I just can't understand not being totally invested in the experience. One reason I ride is to get away from media saturation.
Sorry my mind doesn't work exactly like yours, or that you can't multitask. Would you rather I not cycle, because the ballgame is on, or would you prefer I listen to it while cycling? Do you drive your car in silence, because driving is all that you need to be happy?
jefnvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 09:32 AM   #97
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Do you drive your car in silence, because driving is all that you need to be happy?
this ^^^
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 09:57 AM   #98
bmthom.gis
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue
Posts: 2,958
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
I use earbuds for all my commutes. It makes it a much more pleasant experience being able to listen to music or podcasts then just constant traffic noise, including big diesel engines and air brakes of 18 wheelers and dump trucks. Those are very loud, especially right next to you. I can still hear better than all the cagers with their radios turned up and them sealed off from the world. Luxury vehicles are even worse - they have much better sound insulation. When riding around in my BILs car, there is no outside noise to hear.

Commute is boring, not much in the way of being able to dramatically change the route, and 80% of it is on a 4 lane road with a bike lane and a constant flow of cars and trucks.
bmthom.gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 10:39 AM   #99
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 25,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Do you drive your car in silence, because driving is all that you need to be happy?
And drive with all the windows down, regardless of the weather conditions, all the better to hear the sounds of traffic and wind noise? Better yet, only drive convertibles with the top down at all times to enjoy the sounds of traffic while happy tunes float around inside the driver's head.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 10:43 AM   #100
1989Pre 
Standard Member
 
1989Pre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Bikes: 1963 F. H. Grubb Routier, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 2001 Raleigh M80
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
+1. Single earbud in the non-traffic side, at a level that is discernible but doesn't drown much else out.



Sorry my mind doesn't work exactly like yours, or that you can't multitask. Would you rather I not cycle, because the ballgame is on, or would you prefer I listen to it while cycling? Do you drive your car in silence, because driving is all that you need to be happy?
I just manage my time effectively, so that I am not tempted to do too many things at-once. Why would I listen to music at home, go out and listen to music for 2-3 hours on my bike, and then go home and listen to music?
I guess it's just a question of balance, as well as being a safety issue.
It's kind of the same syndrome where people can't stop using their cell phones.
Rather than comparing it to a situation where I am driving a car, I liken it to when I am walking in the woods or back-packing: I don't need the bandwagon all the time. There are times when I'd rather relax and "tune in" to my environment than to stay over-stimulated and to "tune out", basically trying to ignore a certain portion of what I am experiencing. That's just me. Do whatever you want.
__________________
The hills are why we come.
1989Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION