Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-17, 07:31 PM   #1
asmac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
500 rider, -27 deg advocacy ride in Moscow

https://categorycafe.com/2017/01/08/...r-bike-parade/
asmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 07:59 AM   #2
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Posts: 2,597
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmac View Post
Brrr!
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:40 AM   #3
Hokiedad4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Jersey
Bikes: Trek 4300 MTB
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
"no bike rider required medical assistance after the ride"

Impressive.
Hokiedad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 01:17 PM   #4
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Probably because they were all warmed up with vodka.
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 02:20 PM   #5
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
On the bright side, at -27C ice is not that slippery.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 09:23 AM   #6
asmac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
On the bright side, at -27C ice is not that slippery.

-mr. bill

You're clearly a glass half full kind of guy and I get your point -- that wet ice is the worst. Nonetheless, -27C ice is still pretty slippery though there may be less of it as there's no water to make ice. Where I'm from it was mostly a permanent layer of compressed, solidified, rutted snow.
asmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 10:45 AM   #7
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
The assumption that ice is pretty slippery at that temperature proved fatal.

Scott's Last Blog, 3rd March, 1912

Minimum friction is at a balmy -5 C.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-11-17 at 10:53 AM.
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 11:33 AM   #8
asmac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
The assumption that ice is pretty slippery at that temperature proved fatal.

Scott's Last Blog, 3rd March, 1912

Minimum friction is at a balmy -5 C.

-mr. bill


As did the assumption that horses, woolen jackets and 500 lb sledges would be a good idea when walking to the South Pole.

Last edited by asmac; 01-11-17 at 11:17 PM.
asmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 12:12 PM   #9
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmac View Post
As did the assumption that horses, woolen jackets and 500 lb sledges would be a good helpful when walking to the South Pole.
It was while walking north FROM the South Pole that pretty much everything went, er, south.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 12:31 PM   #10
asmac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
It was while walking north FROM the South Pole that pretty much everything went, er, south.

-mr. bill

You are of course correct. Scott was a bit of a pompous twit. I'm a Shackleton fan myself.


Nonetheless, riding a bike on -27c ice is still a slippery proposition and I recommend studs though very cold ice is hard and that reduces their bite.
asmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 12:35 PM   #11
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)



-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-11-17 at 12:39 PM.
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION