Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-17, 11:24 AM   #1
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Good reason NOT to run a red light at night whilst riding a bicycle

Dark, dark colour bicycle, paossible no lights. Rider runs a red light. Result = not good for that bicyclist.

Teen in Serious Condition After His Bicycle Collides With Deputies? Patrol Car in Palmdale: LASD | KTLA

"The incident occurred around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of 47th Street East and Avenue S when the teen crossed the street against a red light, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The deputies were traveling north on 47th Street with a green light and unable to stop in time when the bicyclist, who was heading east on Avenue S, rode in front of the patrol vehicle, the release states.


The teen was transported to a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, authorities said."

It's a good idea to stop for red lights rather than just blasting through them at speed.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 11:33 AM   #2
ypsetihw
Senior Member
 
ypsetihw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: s-1
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
wow sad story . . . I wonder how long until someone jumps on the fact that he was black and insists that the cops were TRYING to kill him.
ypsetihw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 11:43 AM   #3
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
We don't need conspiracy theories, but OTOH we only have the deputies' word for the fact that they had the light. I don't want to start a flame war, but police running reds without lights and sirens is fairly common, and I suspect that when the cyclist is heard from there may be some disagreement on the light.

Of course, unless there's a dash cam showing the event, people will believe what they want to believe.

For my part, I reserve any judgement until there's more info, but hope for the best possible recovery for the rider.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 11:51 AM   #4
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
On a side note.

The phrase "running a red" or stop sign carries the image of going straight through without pausing to check traffic. That's often true, but more common is slowing or stopping, then proceeding across before the light turns green.

Many of us might call this an "Idaho stop", referencing the state where it's legal, but I wish we had a better alternative to running a red to describe how many cyclists cautiously and safely proceed through these intersections.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 12:02 PM   #5
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,892
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Err ... isn't it always a bad idea to run a red light?
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 01:08 PM   #6
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
Err ... isn't it always a bad idea to run a red light?
Oh no, here we go again...
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM   #7
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
On a side note.

The phrase "running a red" or stop sign carries the image of going straight through without pausing to check traffic. Snipped
Which is why I use the term "running a red light" when I see bicyclists "run" a red light without slowing let alone stopping.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 01:47 PM   #8
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Which is why I use the term "running a red light" when I see bicyclists "run" a red light without slowing let alone stopping.

Cheers
Yes, so my question is what to call it when cyclists safely cross against the light?
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 01:54 PM   #9
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,098
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsetihw View Post
wow sad story . . . I wonder how long until someone jumps on the fact that he was black and insists that the cops were TRYING to kill him.
Not long at all apparently...
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 02:00 PM   #10
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,098
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
The teen was transported to a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, authorities said."

It's a good idea to stop for red lights rather than just blasting through them at speed.
Talk about low hanging fruit. Was this really the best you could do given all the time you took to come up with this? He was a kid! Teen's do all kinds of stupid things. Was he even able to post here according to TOS? You insult my intelligence and the intelligence of anyone legally entitled to participate in this forum if this is the kind of PSA you supply to spread your particular brand of sage wisdom. Be ashamed.
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 02:33 PM   #11
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Not long at all apparently...
If you were referring to my post, I just want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply any intent. I was simply referencing that we only have the driver's word about who had the light. This is often a matter of contention later on.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 02:45 PM   #12
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,098
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
If you were referring to my post, I just want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply any intent. I was simply referencing that we only have the driver's word about who had the light. This is often a matter of contention later on.
I was not referring to your post... Francis... <chortle>
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 05:42 PM   #13
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Yes, so my question is what to call it when cyclists safely cross against the light?
If they've done that whilst "running the red light" I call it "LUCK". LOL VBEG

Cheers
Miele Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 05:46 PM   #14
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Talk about low hanging fruit. Was this really the best you could do given all the time you took to come up with this? He was a kid! Teen's do all kinds of stupid things. Was he even able to post here according to TOS? You insult my intelligence and the intelligence of anyone legally entitled to participate in this forum if this is the kind of PSA you supply to spread your particular brand of sage wisdom. Be ashamed.
Gads man! WHAT you smoking that has you so riled?

I've seen many cases where bicyclists have blown through a red light and were either hit by a motor vehicle or very nearly hit be one. that's why it's NOT a good idea to "BLOW through or RUN" a red light. Idaho stops are an entirely different thing. I'm referring to those bicyclists who do NOT SLOW DOWN OR LOOK BEFORE riding across an intersection where the light facing them is RED.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 05:54 PM   #15
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Whether there's a light or not, it's a poor plan to go through any intersection at speed if you can't clearly ascertain there's no traffic.
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 05:59 PM   #16
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 12,057
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Yes, so my question is what to call it when cyclists safely cross against the light?
I call it "jumping the red", because you're slowed or stopped and then "jump" before it turns green. I don't think it will catch on though.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:28 PM   #17
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Remember, these are Los Angeles County Sheriff’s claiming they had the green light.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is one of the worst in the country.

How often do we see race left out of public statements. So why did Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department include it in an initial report in this case?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:47 PM   #18
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I call it "jumping the red", because you're slowed or stopped and then "jump" before it turns green. I don't think it will catch on though.
Locally "jumping" a light has a specific meaning, meaning starting before the light changes, as in jumping the gun. So it's different that someone crossing mid cycle (if/when there's no cross traffic).

Around here, and especially where I worked the lights had little meaning. A green offered little protection because the number of red light runners (cars) was too high, so I treated ALL intersections as if they were unregulated and went when it was safe regardless of the light.

One little irony would be when I'd roll up to a red where a police car was stopped. I'd stop alongside, and often the officer would roll down the window and ask me why I was waiting.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 09:06 AM   #19
phoebeisis
New Orleans
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I would have guessed that all LA based LEO cars would have always on dash cams.

but I would be really surprised if there wasn't any recording from a business?

There is ALWAYS disagreements over "who ran the light"
It is rare for anyone to say "the accident was my fault-I ran the light-injured that person"

No video-
perhaps there is an event recorder -cop car braking-
and an accurate RED LIGHT event recorder after accident-should line up with GREEN LIGHT RECORDER
There MUST be event recorders for both?
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 10:05 PM   #20
scott967
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oahu, HI
Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Meanwhile our local first road fatality of 2017 is a cyclist said to have "blown the stop sign". Though since he's dead I guess we are taking the word of the driver on that.

scott s.
.
scott967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 10:37 PM   #21
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Meanwhile our local first road fatality of 2017 is a cyclist said to have "blown the stop sign". Though since he's dead I guess we are taking the word of the driver on that.

scott s.
.
I don't want to disrespect the dead, but we don't need or care about the driver's word here.

A stop sign requires more than a stop. It also requires yielding before proceeding. So, if the cyclist had a stop sign, and got hit in the intersection, then it doesn't matter whether he stopped or not, because the collision implies that he failed to yield.

That's unless you're implying that the driver moved the stop sign.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 12:45 AM   #22
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I don't want to disrespect the dead, but we don't need or care about the driver's word here.

A stop sign requires more than a stop. It also requires yielding before proceeding. So, if the cyclist had a stop sign, and got hit in the intersection, then it doesn't matter whether he stopped or not, because the collision implies that he failed to yield.

That's unless you're implying that the driver moved the stop sign.
Or the cyclist stopped for his stop sign, had right of way and properly proceeded across the intersection while the motorist ran his stop sign and/or ignored cyclist right of way.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 12:50 AM   #23
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 34,500
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Or the cyclist stopped for his stop sign, had right of way and properly proceeded across the intersection while the motorist ran his stop sign and/or ignored cyclist right of way.
This is just another strawman which assumes a fact not in evidence, namely a 4-way stop. In the typical case where the stop is for the entering side road, stopping doesn't complete the obligation and one has to yield before proceeding.

But feel free to argue.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 10:33 AM   #24
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,009
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
This is just another strawman which assumes a fact not in evidence, namely a 4-way stop. In the typical case where the stop is for the entering side road, stopping doesn't complete the obligation and one has to yield before proceeding.

But feel free to argue.
Stanley Simon, 59.

Fact is the intersection is a T intersection, one stop sign on a dead end road. Wainae Valley Rd is 25 mph.

But you should give it up about "facts." This thread is now yet another post fact litter box.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-13-17 at 10:38 AM.
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 06:47 AM   #25
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'
Posts: 1,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Dark, dark colour bicycle, paossible no lights. Rider runs a red light. Result = not good for that bicyclist.

Teen in Serious Condition After His Bicycle Collides With Deputies? Patrol Car in Palmdale: LASD | KTLA

"The incident occurred around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of 47th Street East and Avenue S when the teen crossed the street against a red light, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The deputies were traveling north on 47th Street with a green light and unable to stop in time when the bicyclist, who was heading east on Avenue S, rode in front of the patrol vehicle, the release states.


The teen was transported to a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, authorities said."

It's a good idea to stop for red lights rather than just blasting through them at speed.

Cheers
That is what I said recently. When there was the thread about not stopping at stop signs, and red lights.
Chris0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION