Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-17, 10:52 PM   #1
KingCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Cop : Riding in the road means you are high

For those that ride bikes at night and don't ride $6,000 carbon bikes dressed in spandex, this is how police treat cyclists. Police "pull over" cyclists by running them off the road. Then police make up laws like "riding in the middle of the road is illegal" and "you are required to have ID" and so forth.


KingCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 11:45 PM   #2
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,684
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Don't they give their deputies any training at all? Criminy, I live in a Podunk tiny city surrounded by lots of nothing (great for riding once you get out of the Podunk part) and my city cops mostly know the vehicle code. They won't enforce it, but they know it. Our state troopers are, sadly, another matter.

Maybe the reason my local cops are pretty good about the law is that we have a local attorney who makes her living handing them their heads in court and winning six-figure judgments from them every time they screw up.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 02:59 AM   #3
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Cop does not know the CA bicycle laws, does not know Terry Stop law, does not know 4th amendment bill of rights, does not know Citizens not operating a motor vehicle are NOT required to carry an ID card, does not understand that a Citizen is not required to talk to him or answer questions from him, does not understand proper LA traffic stop procedures, does not understand the 1st amendment bill of rights for a Citizen to video him in public, initially refuses LA policy to provide name and badge # when a Citizen request it.

Yet the cop insist he knows the laws in a very rude manner to the knowledgeable Citizen.

Too bad there is no good video, just audio. Would make a perfect video of how a cop screws up everything, except not arresting the Victim of the cop.

Claims he is NOT a BAD COP.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 04:51 AM   #4
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Correct me if I am wrong, or unless I didn't notice it being mentioned already. That officer is an LCSD Deputy? The ones' who love to hassle cyclists.
Chris0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:45 AM   #5
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert
Posts: 4,594
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Get that guy a better video camera. I couldn't even watch it without feeling seasick.
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:51 AM   #6
Spoonrobot 
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,141
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Hmm, cop must be a bikeforums poster: http://www.bikeforums.net/19278716-post16.html
Spoonrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 11:59 AM   #7
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
I don't know California law, but in most places it's not illegal to be outside in public without ID. That's just stupid.

*edit* Just did a quick google search and found that no, it's not illegal to be in public without ID in California: https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...-962970.html#!

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-25-17 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added link
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 12:24 PM   #8
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 14,077
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCat View Post
For those that ride bikes at night and don't ride $6,000 carbon bikes dressed in spandex, this is how some police treat cyclists. Some Police "pull over" cyclists by running them off the road. Then some police make up laws like "riding in the middle of the road is illegal" and "you are required to have ID" and so forth.

I have never been treated like that while riding my non-$6000 bike while neither it (nor I) was dressed in Spandex, so I fify.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:14 PM   #9
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Bikes: Lucinda--2010 Jamis Aurora Elite & a few others
Posts: 3,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
This guy clearly has a history with the cops and an obvious agenda to agitate them until they come down on him. I'm not saying the officer is correct. In fact, the boys back at the station should all just agree not to interact with this guy.
He asks for them to come at him so he can get it on video and for whatever reason, they keep accommodating him.
MMACH 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:22 PM   #10
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Note this is from 2013. Maybe the LAPD or LASD have gotten smarter since then.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:39 PM   #11
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Note this is from 2013. Maybe the LAPD or LASD have gotten smarter since then.
More recent videos show some cops have learned how to properly treat Citizens, but a large number of cops in LA have not learned.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 03:47 PM   #12
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
This guy clearly has a history with the cops and an obvious agenda to agitate them until they come down on him. I'm not saying the officer is correct. In fact, the boys back at the station should all just agree not to interact with this guy.
He asks for them to come at him so he can get it on video and for whatever reason, they keep accommodating him.
It's that Tom Zebra guy, so yes, he does. There was another video on here not too long ago from the same guy trying to get into a secure area or something at an airport on his bike, and kept egging on the security team who wouldn't let him in.
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:22 PM   #13
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: 72 Raleigh Super Course (daily commuter), 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Raleigh Competition, 1976 Nishiki Professional, 1977 Nishiki International, 1983 Colnago Super, 90s Bianchi Eros (conversion to 650B in progress), 2010 ICE Trike
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
This guy clearly has a history with the cops and an obvious agenda to agitate them until they come down on him. I'm not saying the officer is correct. In fact, the boys back at the station should all just agree not to interact with this guy.
He asks for them to come at him so he can get it on video and for whatever reason, they keep accommodating him.
He's obviously learned how to bait the hook. What a way to spend your spare time.
Moe Zhoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:39 PM   #14
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
It's that Tom Zebra guy, so yes, he does. There was another video on here not too long ago from the same guy trying to get into a secure area or something at an airport on his bike, and kept egging on the security team who wouldn't let him in.
He was not trying to get into the secure area, he was just videoing the gate rent a cops from the public area which is legal and called a "First Amendment Audit".

It is an education process for police and security guards of a Citizen's Constitutional rights as asserted by the Supreme Court.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:32 AM   #15
Standalone 
babylon by bike
 
Standalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Haven, CT, USA
Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Roughing up someone who agitates legally and peacefully is anti-democratic.

Let's all work to preserve our constitutional rights, which are even more important than bicycle related legislation.
__________________
The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley
Standalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:47 AM   #16
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Looks like some constituents needs the Legislator of that State to propose a “by request” bill to have the police enforce motor-vehicle laws and to stop harassing cyclists.
Daniel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 09:39 AM   #17
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on
 
Panza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New England
Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
This cyclist gives a similar feel to "Sovereign Citizens". He really needs something better to do with his time than try to aggravate cops on camera.

Police officer should've put on lights to pull him over. Cyclist was an *******. Story done.
Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 10:14 AM   #18
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
He was not trying to get into the secure area, he was just videoing the gate rent a cops from the public area which is legal and called a "First Amendment Audit".

It is an education process for police and security guards of a Citizen's Constitutional rights as asserted by the Supreme Court.
OK, it's been a while since I've seen that video, but I remembered the name. Personally if I were those security guards, I'd just have been like, "Hey, how ya doing?" and let him go about his business rather than try to harass him. If he wants to video a bunch of bored security guards at work, then what's the big deal? Boring videos don't get hits on Youtube.
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 12:20 PM   #19
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
This cyclist gives a similar feel to "Sovereign Citizens". He really needs something better to do with his time than try to aggravate cops on camera.

Police officer should've put on lights to pull him over. Cyclist was an *******. Story done.
He does do other stuff.

Do I know him personally, no. But logic dictates that with 24hrs. in the day, 5-8hrs. of sleep in each 24hr. period, say 1hr. to get up in the morning to get ready for the day, and finally an 8hr./day job. Then X5 for weekdays only.

24
5/8-(sleep)
------
19/16
1-(getting ready for the day)
------
18/15
8-(work)
-------
10/7
5x(M-F)
------
50/35(Total hours in five day work week that he can't video)

120
50/35-
-------
70/85 is the amount of time he has to do the videos'. But that doesn't account for when it is dark out.

Some here obviously go with the STYX hit 'Too Much Time On My Hands', lol. As the reason for his videos'.
Chris0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 06:44 PM   #20
KingCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
This cyclist gives a similar feel to "Sovereign Citizens". He really needs something better to do with his time than try to aggravate cops on camera.

Police officer should've put on lights to pull him over. Cyclist was an *******. Story done.

Sovereign citizens believe the law doesn't apply to them. This cyclist was following the law and not breaking the law.


It was the cop who didn't know the law and who violated the law in pulling over the cyclist.


How does it feel to be educated ?
KingCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:32 PM   #21
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
This cyclist gives a similar feel to "Sovereign Citizens". He really needs something better to do with his time than try to aggravate cops on camera.

Police officer should've put on lights to pull him over. Cyclist was an *******. Story done.
You are very misguided. Cops, Military Police and Homeland Security are taught that "Sovereign Citizens" are internal terrorist that are likely to pull a gun and start shooting.

Those doing "First Amendment Audits" hate being declared "Sovereign Citizens" because they know it puts their lives in danger from jumpy Cops, Military Police and Homeland Security.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:13 PM   #22
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCat View Post
How does it feel to be educated ?
Those who have educated themselves as to who Tom Zebra is understand he's nothing more than a professional provocateur, and self anointed "journalist" who actively orchestrates these confrontations for personal gain.
kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:23 PM   #23
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Those who have educated themselves as to who Tom Zebra is understand he's nothing more than a professional provocateur, and self anointed "journalist" who actively orchestrates these confrontations for personal gain.
A cop stops a citizen behaving legally and you claim it is the citizen who is the professional provocateur.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:46 PM   #24
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
A cop stops a citizen behaving legally and you claim it is the citizen who is the professional provocateur.
I'm not referring to some random incident with a "citizen", but Tom Zebra specifically. One only needs to Google his name to come up with page after page of incidents and videos of conflicts with police.
kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 12:21 AM   #25
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
I'm not referring to some random incident with a "citizen", but Tom Zebra specifically. One only needs to Google his name to come up with page after page of incidents and videos of conflicts with police.
All with him behaving legally and the police proving how slow learners they are.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION