Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which hand do you use for the front brake?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left

    55 66.27%
  • Right

    23 27.71%
  • I don't have a front brake.

    5 6.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    mac
    mac is offline
    They see me rollin' mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale T2000
    Posts
    785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which hand do you use for the front brake? Left or Right?

    I was reading Sheldon Brown's article on braking and safety and was wondering which hand do you use for your front brake and why? Currently, my bikes are set up with the left hand-front brake combo, but my motorcycle is right hand-front brake. I was thinking of switching over my bikes as well.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're switching to Campy?

  3. #3
    Recovering Retro-grouch CRUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Posts
    5,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    I was reading Sheldon Brown's article on braking and safety and was wondering which hand do you use for your front brake and why? Currently, my bikes are set up with the left hand-front brake combo, but my motorcycle is right hand-front brake. I was thinking of switching over my bikes as well.
    If you take your bike to a bikeshop to be serviced, please warn them of this re-adjustment.

    Left for me.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

    My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

  4. #4
    FixedGearQueer nolageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    My Bikes
    2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio
    Posts
    651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right hand, front brake only. It really is more natural feeling for me.
    FGG #1458 - Bianchi Stelvio (Katrina couldn't bring it down!)
    FGG #2504 - IRO Mark V Pro (AKA The Katrina Bike Project)
    FGG #3258 - Watanabe (unknown year) R.I.P.
    -----
    Plan B: The New Orleans Community Bike Project - Show 'em some love!
    Buy My Crap - T-Shirts!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left hand front brake.

    I'm also left-handed, so his thoughts on handedness don't apply.

  6. #6
    Member Randymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    Trek, Raliegh
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it depends on your particular braking habits.

    The true stopping power comes from the front brakes. If you are in the habit of stopping you motorcycle properly with the front brake, then you have already trained your right hand to be sensitive to stopping.

    Something else to consider, in an emergency situation your left hand is trained to disengage the clutch (full squeeze). Now you're on your bicycle, what happens when you grab the clutch, ie. front brake? Would you rather lockup the front or rear in a panic stop?
    Just a thought,
    Randy

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use left because it is "standard" and it isn't like my left hand is a big useless ham just because I am right handed.

  8. #8
    kipuka explorer bkrownd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hilo Town, East Hawai'i
    My Bikes
    1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36
    Posts
    3,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think it really matters that much - they set up my road and off-road bikes with the brakes on opposite sides, and I just adapt to it. However if I wanted to hand-signal more, then I'd want the REAR brake on my right hand so my left hand is free to signal.
    --
    -=- '05 Jamis Nova -=- '04 Fuji Absolute -=- '94 Trek 820 -=- '77 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 -=-
    Friends don't let friends use brifters.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sierra Madre, CA, USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 5300
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old rule is "right rear". Its easy to remember and is phonetic. It applies to both brakes and derailers. I was told a few years ago by an expert on bikes that this was not a standard, but in over fifty years of riding bikes with modern caliper brakes and various shifting mechanisms I have never seen the rule broken. The U.S. Government recognises it in their rules of safety equipment required on imported bicycles. I don't think their is any rational to it. It probably got started years ago by someone who mistakenly thought that the rear wheel brake was the important one, like the old coaster brake. It is like the threads on your pedals. However I do not think it wize to break this rule because it is the type of thing that should come natural and you shouldn't have to think about, particularly in emergency situations.
    Last edited by Robert Gardner; 07-24-05 at 11:32 PM.

  10. #10
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right hand. I grew up in Australia, where this is the standard. I've been riding a road bike in Canada for the last couple of months set up for the left hand. It wasn't hard to get used to, but I much prefer using my dominant hand for the more important brake, so I switched them two days ago.

  11. #11
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's right hand (Australia). I though Europe was right hand too.
    Steve.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  12. #12
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1
    Mine's right hand (Australia). I though Europe was right hand too.
    Steve.

    UK is right hand. Not sure about Continental Europe though. Hong Kong is right hand. I think there could be a link to which side of the road you drive/ride on, but have never bothered to verify this.

  13. #13
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    front gear, front brake - left side
    rear gears, rear break - right side

    1. it's simple and makes sense.
    2. the two things you do most often (rear gear and front brake) are on different hands. This can be useful depending on how you ride.

    I think the only reason people prefer the other way round is out of habit. Or because of motorbikes. Even the motorbike comparison is very sketchy, but for me it is irrelevant anyway.

    Sheldon Brown is great, but on this subject I disagree with him. His arguments and reasoning are flawed.

  14. #14
    Just Ride
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    My Bikes
    2005 Giant Yukon with the works.
    Posts
    1,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right hand for the front brake. I couldn't imagne having the front brake where i would have to use my left hand, it would just feel weird.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    My Bikes
    Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider before switching the front brake lever from left to right is the use of the left hand as indicator when doing a left turn. In this situation, I think it is safer to have the remaining (right) hand available for an emergency rear braking than front

  16. #16
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    UK is right hand. Not sure about Continental Europe though. Hong Kong is right hand. I think there could be a link to which side of the road you drive/ride on, but have never bothered to verify this.
    Nicodemus already replied for the Netherlands. It's the same here: left hand - front brake / front der. I'd be interested to hear how it is in Sweden, because they used to drive on the left hand side of the road (that was decades ago, but still).

    --J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  17. #17
    34x25 FTW! oboeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 '07, Dahon SpeedPro '06
    Posts
    6,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we rented bikes in Ireland last summer, the brakes were reversed from how we have them on our bikes in the US. US == front break on left hand, Ireland == front brake on right hand.

    My feeling? Whatever. The only case where it seems to make a difference, as pointed out above, is when signaling with the left hand, you don't want to go OTB because you squeezed too hard on the front brake (so, rear-right makes sense). I suppose in Ireland where they all drive on the "wrong" side of the road the switch is equally logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    I do not want to be associated with the kind of riders that come through my neck of the woods on weekends, dressed in superhero costumes
    Do they wear capes?
    ---

    http://www.cycopaths.net/

  18. #18
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus
    front gear, front brake - left side
    rear gears, rear break - right side

    1. it's simple and makes sense.
    2. the two things you do most often (rear gear and front brake) are on different hands. This can be useful depending on how you ride.

    I think the only reason people prefer the other way round is out of habit. Or because of motorbikes. Even the motorbike comparison is very sketchy, but for me it is irrelevant anyway.
    For me the main reasons are:

    A. I'm right handed, like to have the more important front brake on the stronger, more skillful hand.

    2. In the U.S. we drive on the right side, signal with the left hand. I prefer to be able to signal and still have my primary brake in easy reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus
    Sheldon Brown is great, but on this subject I disagree with him. His arguments and reasoning are flawed.
    The fact that we have different preferences does not necessarily mean that either of us has "flawed" arguments or reasoning.

    If you have found any flaws in my arguments or reasonaing, I'd appreciate specific examples so that I can correct the errors.

    Sheldon "Open To Reasoned Discourse" Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    |  Military conscription is the worst form of slavery.  |
    |  A more enlightened age will consider it a War crime. |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  19. #19
    FixedGearQueer nolageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    My Bikes
    2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio
    Posts
    651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus

    1. it's simple and makes sense.
    2. the two things you do most often (rear gear and front brake) are on different hands. This can be useful depending on how you ride.

    I think the only reason people prefer the other way round is out of habit. Or because of motorbikes. Even the motorbike comparison is very sketchy, but for me it is irrelevant anyway.

    Sheldon Brown is great, but on this subject I disagree with him. His arguments and reasoning are flawed.
    I think your arguments are flawed.

    I've never ridden a motorcycle in my life. My bike has no gears.

    I had not ridden a bike in almost 15 years when I built mine at our local co-op. After building it all up and learning how to install brakes, the volunteer tells me "Hey, you put your brake on the wrong side." I didn't understand.. I'm right handed.. I can barely throw a ball with accuracy with my left hand.. why would I want it controling something that can save my life.

    Vincent "I can't even do that with my left hand very well" Macaluso
    FGG #1458 - Bianchi Stelvio (Katrina couldn't bring it down!)
    FGG #2504 - IRO Mark V Pro (AKA The Katrina Bike Project)
    FGG #3258 - Watanabe (unknown year) R.I.P.
    -----
    Plan B: The New Orleans Community Bike Project - Show 'em some love!
    Buy My Crap - T-Shirts!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up with right-front. I've been using left-front for the last couple of years in the US. I prefer right-front, and should get around to re-cabling the bikes one of these days.

    My reason for the preference is mainly that it's my stronger hand, and I can modulate the brake better. That said, my left hand isn't that weak and I'm happy using the left-front too. Hand signals don't weigh in that highly - it's extremely rare that I'd want to brake more heavily than the rear brake can cope with and hand signal at the same time.

  21. #21
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,643
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My early 1960s Bianchi was cabled right-front at the factory, in the days when it was fashionable to run front sidepull brake cables to the NEAREST brake handle, rather than across the stem. Likewise, the two rear brake cable guides were located along the left side of the top tube. My friends' Schwinns were all left-front, and the Weinmann sidepull calipers were mirror images of my Universals.

    I used right-front for almost 20 years, but finally switched over to left-front, partly because I got tired of warning anyone borrowing my bike that the brakes were "switched," and partly because today's aero cabling systems are designed for left-front. As a somewhat ambidextrous lefty who does not ride motorcycles, I feel I can brake safely with either polarity, but it is probably best not to have to switch back and forth. Hand signals are a problem on a couple of local 15 percent descents, where I want to keep BOTH hands on the brakes, particularly in wet weather. (Slippery pavement is the one place I diverge from the front-brake-only fans -- a front wheel skid is a megabummer.)

    The American right-rear standard is indeed based on the flawed logic that the front brake is DANGEROUS and that the rear brake should be the primary stopper, to be controlled by the dominant hand.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am American. Left hand for me.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard "it" called a "front brake" before.

  24. #24
    Recovering Retro-grouch CRUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Posts
    5,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that using the dominant hand for the front brake might make sense if all all of us were sporting hands on the other side that were less than useless. From my own experience, it does not take a lot of manual dexterity or strength to engage any of the modern brake systems. In fact, maybe having the weaker hand pulling the front brake might just be better. With the disc brakes now popular, a pinky pull can stop you faster than your butt can pucker.

    A silly debate IMO. No one is right. No one is wrong.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

    My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

  25. #25
    kipuka explorer bkrownd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hilo Town, East Hawai'i
    My Bikes
    1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36
    Posts
    3,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUM
    A silly debate IMO. No one is right. No one is wrong.
    But but but...give up our beloved Holy Wars?
    --
    -=- '05 Jamis Nova -=- '04 Fuji Absolute -=- '94 Trek 820 -=- '77 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 -=-
    Friends don't let friends use brifters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •