Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bullies

  1. #1
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bullies

    How many of us who drive cars know the stupid, foolish, irresponsible antics of other motorists?

    Everyone does.

    So, why is it so suprising that as cyclists, with almost complete vulnerability to the whim of bullies-on-wheels, fear motorists?

    Uh, maybe it has something to do with the huge size and power of their vehicles?

    Let's make them accountable. Let's make them respect us.
    No worries

  2. #2
    Senior Member John C. Ratliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet
    Posts
    1,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you propose that we do that (make them accountable)? I've thought about mounting a laser on the front of my bike (we work with lasers at work) to melt the tires off that hunk of metal, but haven't gotten around the need of a power supply.
    John Ratliff

  3. #3
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Southeastern, AZ
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by John C. Ratliff
    How do you propose that we do that (make them accountable)?
    I've suggested this before.

    Perhaps an occasional rotation to duty on a bicycle in traffic for patrol officers would serve to bring some balance to enforcement and attitudes about both motorists and cyclists.

    Cops won't tolerate another officer being abused even if on a bicycle.

    Carl
    Just Peddlin' Around

  4. #4
    riding a Pinarello Prince orguasch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Downtown Toronto,Canada
    My Bikes
    Pinarello, Prince and an FP5
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate bullies, in what ever form that they may comes, I just hate them
    "Racso", the well oiled machine;)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LittleBigMan
    So, why is it so suprising that as cyclists, with almost complete vulnerability to the whim of bullies-on-wheels, fear motorists?
    see.. that's the thing. i don't fear them.

    maybe it's just because i'm young (thus stupid), but being surrounded by cars doesn't bother me a bit.

    the weekend before last i went out on an event ride that took us through farmland. i rode for miles without seeing a single car. it was nice, and i did enjoy it, but a part of me really missed riding around the metro-milwaukee/downtown area.
    i ride bikes.

  6. #6
    Every lane is a bike lane Chris L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
    Posts
    9,622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by John C. Ratliff
    How do you propose that we do that (make them accountable)?
    There was a suggestion over here earlier this year about a scheme that might just have achieved this. It involved setting up a phone # where cyclists could report overly abusive drivers, and the reports being maintained on a database. Those drivers whose # continually turned up on this database would be sent a nice little warning letter by the cops, with further action following if they continued turning up.

    Unfortunately, it seems to have been forgotten about. Maybe I'll write a few people a 'reminder' letter in the near future.
    "I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
    "We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
    My blog.
    My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.

  7. #7
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chris L


    There was a suggestion over here earlier this year about a scheme that might just have achieved this. It involved setting up a phone # where cyclists could report overly abusive drivers, and the reports being maintained on a database. Those drivers whose # continually turned up on this database would be sent a nice little warning letter by the cops, with further action following if they continued turning up.

    Unfortunately, it seems to have been forgotten about. Maybe I'll write a few people a 'reminder' letter in the near future.
    That is a fantastic idea!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •