Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lousy day today dealing with bikes.

    Well I bought a shaman tiagra triple crank off eBay to test the smaller crank arm theory for recumbent. I have not seen a need for expensive cranks yet. Hell this one weighed less then the original. So I put them on and thread the pedals on by hand. Well the left one started to cross thread and I thought that was a bit weird. But I started it again and it was fine. Tighten them down and take a test ride. Well I get 50 feet before the left foot feels weird and I discover the pedal is flopping around. The right is loose too.
    Well hopefully the eBay seller will refund me. I only spent 25.00 but still.
    As I was riding home not sure if i was not paying attention or if I moved over a bit for another rider and we greeted and right after he passed a lady doored me. I was only going about 10mph and I was only a little ways in the zone so I swerved and braked and just hit my elbow I think. I donít think my bike hit. Got her number and license but other then a nice bump on my elbow I will live.

  2. #2
    Long Live Long Rides
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    KCMO
    My Bikes
    1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, it must have been a Thursday. I got a few yells yesterday. I think people (drivers) are stressing.

    On a good note: I saw more cyclists out yesterday than ever. I even saw a guy in a dress shirt and dress slacks commuting!

    Lots of new riders. I hope they keep it up!
    Jharte
    Touring...therapy for the soul.

  3. #3
    34x25 FTW! oboeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 '07, Dahon SpeedPro '06
    Posts
    6,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, what a day! I rarely buy things on eBay but I've sold a few. Dooring sucks -- glad you only got a little bump, and, more importantly, that the bike is OK!

    Jharte, I hope this gas thing will make people less car-centric in their heads. It's an important step as "peak oil" is right around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    I do not want to be associated with the kind of riders that come through my neck of the woods on weekends, dressed in superhero costumes
    Do they wear capes?
    ---

    http://www.cycopaths.net/

  4. #4
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steveknight
    ... a lady doored me.
    Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you're okay, but don't you mean you doored you?

    Riding in door zones and complaining about "getting doored" is like playing Russian Roulette and complaining about "getting shot".

    Russian Roulette players don't get shot, they shoot themselves. It's only a matter of when.
    Door zone cyclists don't get doored, they door themselves. It's only a matter of when.

  5. #5
    Climb on my trusty steed BeTheChange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boone, NC
    My Bikes
    trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve- That sucks about getting doored. What really sucks is that we can never go for a ride like I'd go for a stroll and just kinda relax. We all have to be on-guard at all times.

    If it will make you feel better earlier this week I saw a Sorostitute's door all mangled from dooring the oncomming SUV. I laughed out loud untill my girlfriend made me stop. If my knee weren't hurt I was going to go home and get my camera and bike over and take some pics and post em', but my knee was hurt (it's a small town, you don't see this every day).You'd think that since there are so many more cars than bikes that the dumb ones that door people would learn eventually, but I guess not. Hope your next day with the bike goes better than that one. Peace.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."
    -Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #6
    52-week commuter DCCommuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS
    Posts
    1,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lousy day biking is still better than a good day driving.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you're okay, but don't you mean you doored you?
    I don't usualy ride in that zone. but things happen.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
    Steve- That sucks about getting doored. What really sucks is that we can never go for a ride like I'd go for a stroll and just kinda relax. We all have to be on-guard at all times.

    If it will make you feel better earlier this week I saw a Sorostitute's door all mangled from dooring the oncomming SUV. I laughed out loud untill my girlfriend made me stop. If my knee weren't hurt I was going to go home and get my camera and bike over and take some pics and post em', but my knee was hurt (it's a small town, you don't see this every day).You'd think that since there are so many more cars than bikes that the dumb ones that door people would learn eventually, but I guess not. Hope your next day with the bike goes better than that one. Peace.
    your right on the relaxing bit. seems if my mind wanders something always pops up.
    thats a good story soemone posted about the same thing last week. I wish I could have atelast hurt the door (G)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCCommuter
    A lousy day biking is still better than a good day driving.
    very true for sure.

  10. #10
    Member rgilmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Dahon Boardwalk 7
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oboeguy
    Yikes, what a day! I rarely buy things on eBay but I've sold a few. Dooring sucks -- glad you only got a little bump, and, more importantly, that the bike is OK!

    Jharte, I hope this gas thing will make people less car-centric in their heads. It's an important step as "peak oil" is right around the corner.
    What's happening now is a preview of Peak Oil. Too bad 99% of the public thinks it is temporary and caused by price gouging. If the people actually realized oil is running out, we might get moving on renewable energy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •