Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-05, 04:48 PM   #1
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle
Thread Starter
 
Airwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disaster Relief and the Bicycle

Wouldn't it be nice to have a National Bicycle Organization that could spring into action in emergencies like Hurricane Katrina? Ask yourself how many different needs you've witnessed where the bicycle could have been the perfect solution. We need the help of cyclists from all over the country to assist in anyway you can. Someone with friends in high places could make the dream of a disaster bicycle network come to life.

Thanks,
Airwick

Hurricane Katrina
Airwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 05:51 PM   #2
cheebahmunkey
The Question Man
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how about a ride for charity? Ya know like those neighborhood 5k and 10k walks/runs we all used to go to. I'd be up for a ride to raise money.
cheebahmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 06:18 PM   #3
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a charity ride would be the only way to directly involve the bicycle.

I mean... you don't plan on bringing supplies in BoB trailer now, do ya?
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 06:21 PM   #4
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe make a local MUP require a donation fee for a an upcoming weekend.

Edit:
Clear with the city (call the newspapers with the idea)
Then, if it's approved,
Get some volunteers stationed at all entrances to the MUP to collect $5/adult (kids under 16 free).
After they fork over the cash, they get a bright yellow "Katrina Relief" button they can wear proudly all that weekend to use the path.

Last edited by Bikepacker67; 09-04-05 at 06:26 PM.
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 06:43 PM   #5
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle
Thread Starter
 
Airwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I think a charity ride would be the only way to directly involve the bicycle.

I mean... you don't plan on bringing supplies in BoB trailer now, do ya?

I agree with the idea of the charity ride, great idea, but you are discounting the tremendous value of the bicycle for diaster relief and that's precisely my point. A Bicycle Relief Organization with a thousand bicycles outfitted with xtracycles could have gone a long way to helping in New Orleans. Now, it's too late for some of the people victims but not for the pets. Study the xtracycle at their site: www.xtracycle.com and take a look at our website if you need more convincing. www.route66.crazyguyonabike.com
My last point is as cyclists we are continually fighting a battle to get legislation passed that makes roads safer for us and this would and could be a fantastic opportunity to win support from the general public that hasn't owned a bicycle since their huffy's as a kid.

Airwick
Airwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 08:10 PM   #6
chemcycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Ask yourself how many different needs you've witnessed where the bicycle could have been the perfect solution
MMMMM...bicycles taste good and keep the sun out of my eyes.....who knew it also purified water? Thanks bike!!
chemcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 08:11 PM   #7
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ten thousand bikes set up as Extracycles would not even begin to have an impact on what's needed. With humans needing help, the efforts will and should be concentrated there.
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 08:39 PM   #8
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle
Thread Starter
 
Airwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcycle
MMMMM...bicycles taste good and keep the sun out of my eyes.....who knew it also purified water? Thanks bike!!

It's a waste of time to respond to such a comment. Any vehicle that doesn't require artificial power can be a life savior in times of crisis. What exactly is it about the idea of 250 lbs of supplies being shuttled back and forth (at a time when there are few alternatives) many times a day do you find so humorous?
You may see your bike as nothing special but I know better. My bike may not filter water but it darn well can carry a filteration unit, carry many gallons of drinking water, and deliver enough food to benefit many people.

Thanks bike!
Airwick
Airwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 08:51 PM   #9
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle
Thread Starter
 
Airwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Ten thousand bikes set up as Extracycles would not even begin to have an impact on what's needed. With humans needing help, the efforts will and should be concentrated there.

The idea for a Bicycle Assistance League was never intended to replace current rescue assistance. I truly thought that was fairly obvious. Submit your premise that 10,000 dedicated cyclists (I had merely suggested 1,000 could accomplish a lot) with xtracycles couldn't accomplish enough to warrant the effort and let's see the response you receive. I respect your opinion but please take a look at some of the innovative ways people use their bicycles.

Airwick
Airwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 09:04 PM   #10
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwick
The idea for a Bicycle Assistance League was never intended to replace current rescue assistance. I truly thought that was fairly obvious. Submit your premise that 10,000 dedicated cyclists (I had merely suggested 1,000 could accomplish a lot) with xtracycles couldn't accomplish enough to warrant the effort and let's see the response you receive. I respect your opinion but please take a look at some of the innovative ways people use their bicycles.

Airwick
I already put it out there. Any responses will come.
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 04:08 AM   #11
Beatsalad
delete folders.
 
Beatsalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gig Harbor
Bikes: YATTAY 29er, centurion IRONMAN, soon FitFLOW
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ummmm dense... yeah! OK! What is the problem... refugees are getting sent here and there! do they have transportation? NOOO. I am getting a little dissapointed with everyone ever because i can't find anyone fixing up used bikes for transportation for these people. does ANYONE know if something is happening like this... anywhere? i really would like to help out. contact me... beatsalad@gmail.com
thanks.
taylor sizemore.
PS somehow i think doing this would do more for bikes and do more for the refugees than a benifit ride... what are you thinking. bikes are MADE for transportation! people NEED transportation!
please start coming up with good ideas... not charity rides!
Beatsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 05:14 AM   #12
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone is taking seriously the idea of using bicycles during emergency and disaster scenarios.
http://www.med.wright.edu/em/ndls/

>Disaster Preparedness Training
The Homeland Emergency Learning and Preparedness (HELP) Center in the Department of Emergency Medicine offers disaster preparedness training to emergency responders, including law enforcement agencies, fire departments, hazardous materials technicians, bomb squads, public health services, emergency medical service personnel, or other emergency management personnel. The following courses are coming up in 2005:

WMD Radiological/Nuclear Awareness Training,
Basic Disaster Life Support™,
IPMBA EMS Cyclist Course,
Core Disaster Life Support (CDLS),
Mass Fatalities Incident Response Planning,

FEMA also recognise their usefulness:
http://www.fema.gov/rrr/partnr09.shtm
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 07:25 AM   #13
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not to seriously address disaster relief on bikes, but;

the swiss have mountain troops that use bikes as their primary transportation,
a bicycle will work long after the gas pumps have been shut off,
bikes were used to great success along the Ho Chi Mihn trail as cargo carriers.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 07:35 AM   #14
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood
 
Longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dripping Springs, Texas
Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatsalad
ummmm dense... yeah! OK! What is the problem... refugees are getting sent here and there! do they have transportation? NOOO. I am getting a little dissapointed with everyone ever because i can't find anyone fixing up used bikes for transportation for these people. does ANYONE know if something is happening like this... anywhere? i really would like to help out. contact me... beatsalad@gmail.com
thanks.
taylor sizemore.
PS somehow i think doing this would do more for bikes and do more for the refugees than a benifit ride... what are you thinking. bikes are MADE for transportation! people NEED transportation!
please start coming up with good ideas... not charity rides!
Bicycles Sports Shop of Austin had a bicycle drive last week and wanted to get 500 bikes to fix up and give to Katrina victims. They stopped the drive after they received 1000 bikes! I wouldn't be surprised if similar drives weren't going on in the cities where the evacuees were sent.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 07:39 AM   #15
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride
 
dwightonabike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Bikes: Giant Iguana 650 utility bike, Surly LHT, Trek TopFuel 7
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Used bikes donated to disaster victims could be a great help to allow them transportation in thier new homes.
dwightonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 09:45 AM   #16
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightonabike
Used bikes donated to disaster victims could be a great help to allow them transportation in thier new homes.
Finally a real use for bikes. For providing support in the disaster area the idea is a joke, at least for this disaster. The biggest problem is contaminated water. Just about anything a bike can make it through a deuce and a halk can blow through with no problem. Also water is a BIG problem on the other side and it is rather hot and humid near N.O. Biking works best when the rider can drink.

Now an earthquake MIGHT work out differently. If almost all bridges were down or damaged enough to prevent 'normal' traffic going both over and under bikes might work well to get supplies the last few miles. But again one deuce and a half can outperform dozens of bikes if it can get through at all.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 10:47 AM   #17
scarry
Bent_Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SF Bay area
Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Ten thousand bikes set up as Extracycles would not even begin to have an impact on what's needed. With humans needing help, the efforts will and should be concentrated there.
Question, what war was won partly by the use of supply bicycles?
scarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:20 AM   #18
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn
Bicycles Sports Shop of Austin had a bicycle drive last week and wanted to get 500 bikes to fix up and give to Katrina victims. They stopped the drive after they received 1000 bikes! I wouldn't be surprised if similar drives weren't going on in the cities where the evacuees were sent.
From: http://www.bikehouston.org/
We have actually cancelled the Hurricane Relief Ride. Mark at Cyclone Cycles and other bike shops in the area, received a total 200 bicycles from wholesalers. There are arrangements already made for the delivery of these bicycles. There will be some assembly required but I think we have that covered.
I wanted to thank you anyway for your help in contacting a volunteer force. We will keep everyone posted if other developments occu
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:24 AM   #19
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry
Question, what war was won partly by the use of supply bicycles?
http://www.dienbienphu.org/english/
The bicycle was used to supply the troops that ended the French occupation of Indochina, 7 May 1954. 157 Days of Siege, 57 Days of Hell.
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:29 AM   #20
Staceyfb
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Appleton,WI
Bikes: Schwinns,Schwinns,and more Schwinns
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Someone is taking seriously the idea of using bicycles during emergency and disaster scenarios.
http://www.med.wright.edu/em/ndls/

>Disaster Preparedness Training
The Homeland Emergency Learning and Preparedness (HELP) Center in the Department of Emergency Medicine offers disaster preparedness training to emergency responders, including law enforcement agencies, fire departments, hazardous materials technicians, bomb squads, public health services, emergency medical service personnel, or other emergency management personnel. The following courses are coming up in 2005:

WMD Radiological/Nuclear Awareness Training,
Basic Disaster Life Support™,
IPMBA EMS Cyclist Course,
Core Disaster Life Support (CDLS),
Mass Fatalities Incident Response Planning,

FEMA also recognise their usefulness:
http://www.fema.gov/rrr/partnr09.shtm
This college is in Dayton, OH and Dayton has quite a few bike builders and a pretty good bike community and support. However, my bro-in-law goes to school at Wright State Medical College and is not required to take any classes or anything of the sort as far as bikes are included. All of that is an elective. To bad too, I thnk it is an awesome idea.
Stacey
Staceyfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:45 AM   #21
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightonabike
Used bikes donated to disaster victims could be a great help to allow them transportation in thier new homes.
I doubt half the victims are capable of even riding a bicycle. The other half are probably motorists are life time public transportation users who would never think of riding a bicycle in city streets.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:53 AM   #22
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barenakedbiker
http://www.dienbienphu.org/english/
The bicycle was used to supply the troops that ended the French occupation of Indochina, 7 May 1954. 157 Days of Siege, 57 Days of Hell.
I remember seeing this horror on television as countless French soldiers gave up their lives in the bottom of camp for NOTHING!! Unbelivable.

It would not surprise me if the insurgents in Iraq are using the bicycle to transport weapons and amunition across the country.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 12:11 PM   #23
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I doubt half the victims are capable of even riding a bicycle. The other half are probably motorists are life time public transportation users who would never think of riding a bicycle in city streets.
Give them a chance, ferchristsakes, get off your high horse. I am more concerned about what the Donation Nazis, the American Red Cross, are blocking. I would have to ask, is the ARC allowing donated bicycles?

Last edited by barenakedbiker; 09-09-05 at 12:17 PM.
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 12:15 PM   #24
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I remember seeing this horror on television as countless French soldiers gave up their lives in the bottom of camp for NOTHING!! Unbelivable.

It would not surprise me if the insurgents in Iraq are using the bicycle to transport weapons and amunition across the country.
The bicycle was used effectively by the insurgents of another recent war. Tubes were filled with high e, parked in shopping areas and marketplaces, and detonated. Wrecked sheer terror.
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 02:59 PM   #25
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From: http://www.biketexas.org/index.php?o...403&Itemid=556

When Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast this week, countless people lost their homes, their livelihoods, and their means of transportation. Thousands of people from neighboring Louisiana have taken refuge in cities and towns across Texas. Texas Bicycle Coalition is working with the Texas bicycle community to coordinate a thoughtful and concerted response.
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.