Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Senior Member boozergut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is the best rear view mirror out there?

    Helmet mirror? Handle bar mirror?

  2. #2
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One that you'll use.

    Some folks swear by helmet mirrors... others by handle bar mirrors.

    Hate to say it, but spend some money and see what works for you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member boozergut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    One that you'll use.

    Some folks swear by helmet mirrors... others by handle bar mirrors.

    Hate to say it, but spend some money and see what works for you.

    This is not the Droid I was looking for.

  4. #4
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I like my handle bar mirror... Mirrycle. Try that.

  5. #5
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Take-a-Look mirror attached to my sunglasses.

    Don't leave home without it.

  6. #6
    Embrace the weirdness. primaryreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    OK, I like my handle bar mirror... Mirrycle. Try that.
    Second this. The Mountain Mirrycle rocks; if you want to try a handlebar mirror, you won't find a better one.

  7. #7
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a handle bar mirror, but even if I wanted to change, I am forced into it. I have limited vision in my left eye, so mounting a mirror where I rely exclusively on my left eye doesn't do the job for me... I can look at the handlebar mounted mirror and get a better view.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best i have found. I have used it for over 10,000 miles and would be lost without it. It is very rugged and looks better than most.

    http://www.rei.com/product/2382.htm?


  9. #9
    The Question Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by primaryreality
    Second this. The Mountain Mirrycle rocks; if you want to try a handlebar mirror, you won't find a better one.
    same here. I just got it cuz the bike shop that shipped my bike up to school broke my other mirror (got it at Wal-Mart). The MM seems to be pretty good.
    Trek 7200 FX Black
    (just bought her on June 12, 2005)

  10. #10
    Resident Old Fart Olebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    I use the Take-a-Look mirror attached to my sunglasses.

    Don't leave home without it.
    I will second the Take-a-Look mirror recommendation and I'll tell you why. It stays relatively steady in relation to your eye. Both helmet and bar mounted mirrors vibrated and moved around too much. Other glasses mounted mirrors weighed too much. The Take-a-Look gives a wide field of view also.
    Wag more, bark less

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The glasses mounted mirrors provide a wider field of view because slight movement of the head allows you to scan a wide angle behind you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for Take-a-Look. Mine is helmet mounted.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the helmet mounted mirrors, but just couldn't get used to them. They never worked for me.

    There are quite a number of good and affordable mirrors for mountain bikes these days, but less for road bikes. I think that is ironic - mirrors for mountain bikes (watch out for that squirrel behind you).

    Of course, road bike mirrors exist, but the selection is limited.
    Mike

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the Blackburn mirror that attaches to the brake hood and it vibrates too much to be usefull, tried the helmet mirror but my bifocals just can't focus fast enough with it even though I use the same mirror on a cap for running just fine. The bar end mirror mounted on the left works great on my road bike.

  15. #15
    Burnt Orange Blood Longhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Zefal Spy mirrors on each of my bar extensions and a Chuck Harris Ultralite mirror on my helmet. None of them vibrate and all give me a good look behind. What I miss with one I can see with another.

  16. #16
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,619
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the Take-a-Look after reading numerous reviews here on the forums. Hated it. When positioned so that I could see behind me,it partially blocked my view when I would look back over my left shoulder. Plus I had to concentrate too much on that little spot and take my eyes off the road ahead for too long.

    I'm looking into a bar-end mirror. I've used mirrors for years on motorcycles,so that's pretty much what I'm used to.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  17. #17
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,508
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker
    I will second the Take-a-Look mirror recommendation and I'll tell you why. It stays relatively steady in relation to your eye. Both helmet and bar mounted mirrors vibrated and moved around too much. Other glasses mounted mirrors weighed too much. The Take-a-Look gives a wide field of view also.
    Depends. I bought a take-a-look mirror on recommendations here. However, for me it is so bouncy it's basically unusable. I wear eyeglasses with Flexon frames, the arms are almost round, very tiny and flexible. The mirror doesn't grab it well at all. I tried the helmet adaptor, but the mirror doesn't stay on well for me, plus in the winter the adaptor plastic gets too hard and the mirror keeps falling off. And the helmet positioning is too close, and my goggles hit it.

    I've got a CycleAware Reflex coming tomorrow, I'm going to give that a try. It seems well liked as well.

    I have a bar end mirror on as well; that way I always have a mirror on, even if I forget the top mirror, or if I just want to buzz down the neighborhood without having to go inside and find my mirror.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two versions of this mirror: regular and compact. The regular one is a little bigger in terms of mirror size and the "boom" length; it works well with helmet mounts; the compact works well with glasses and has a smaller mirror. I have had both of them mounted on my helmet visor and have had no issues in terms of rear visibility or blocked view. It takes a couple of days to get used to it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder
    Tried the Take-a-Look after reading numerous reviews here on the forums. Hated it. When positioned so that I could see behind me,it partially blocked my view when I would look back over my left shoulder. Plus I had to concentrate too much on that little spot and take my eyes off the road ahead for too long.

    I'm looking into a bar-end mirror. I've used mirrors for years on motorcycles,so that's pretty much what I'm used to.

  19. #19
    34x25 FTW! oboeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 '07, Dahon SpeedPro '06
    Posts
    6,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    I use the Take-a-Look mirror attached to my sunglasses.

    Don't leave home without it.
    Nice to agree with Helmet Head wholeheartedly for once. Seriously, I'm a Take-a-Look convert. I originally got it to keep track of my better half during a recent century and took out commuting a couple of times for practice using it. I can't say that I've used it on rides with my road bike, but I take it every day for commuting, for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    I do not want to be associated with the kind of riders that come through my neck of the woods on weekends, dressed in superhero costumes
    Do they wear capes?
    ---

    http://www.cycopaths.net/

  20. #20
    Rides again HiYoSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    W. Sacramento Region, aka, Nut Tree
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not found a good only one mirror.

    I use the mirror imaged by Ranger but it has problems: 1. hard to use when right eye dominant, 2. often needs adjustment during ride. It just doesn't hold position. I think it's the pop up option that is causing the slip. And 3, there are many blind spots. It is good for showing you how far away something is.

    The second mirror I use is the ultra light from performance. It is great in mounting and no vibration. It gives you a view of the entire road. Disadvantage: it's a curved mirror instead of flat so distances are distorted.

    Still looking for the perfect one mirror. It's fall now, one of my riding guys has take a look mirror, and looks ok, at least better than the one referenced by Ranger. But in fall I don't wear glasses, so no place to attach it.

    And the search goes on.....
    Hi 'o Silver away

  21. #21
    Avatar out of order. MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    North of the border, just
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
    Depends. I bought a take-a-look mirror on recommendations here. However, for me it is so bouncy it's basically unusable. I wear eyeglasses with Flexon frames, the arms are almost round, very tiny and flexible. The mirror doesn't grab it well at all. I tried the helmet adaptor, but the mirror doesn't stay on well for me, plus in the winter the adaptor plastic gets too hard and the mirror keeps falling off. And the helmet positioning is too close, and my goggles hit it.
    I use the Take-A-Look and think its great. However, you're right, it doesn't attach well if you have wire rim glasses. I use the adapter. Had to eventually glue it to the side of the helmet shell using gorilla glue (the little glue tabs don't grip that well). This seems to work very well. I'm thinking that you may have to tweak the gripping elements for a tighter fit to accomodate those ultra cold Michigan winters.

    Another thing is, that when properly adjusted, these mirrors (and the 3rd eyes) will show part of your face (usually an earlobe or sideburn). I think a lot of people using these expect to see completely around their head somehow. With just a slight head movement you can scan everything behind you.

    What brand of goggles are you using? Where did you get them? Do they work well? Sometimes it seems like if you bike you're expected to have perfect vision or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
    I have a bar end mirror on as well; that way I always have a mirror on, even if I forget the top mirror, or if I just want to buzz down the neighborhood without having to go inside and find my mirror.
    The Take-A-Look pretty much lives with my helmet. And I don't leave home without the helmet

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn
    I have Zefal Spy mirrors on each of my bar extensions and a Chuck Harris Ultralite mirror on my helmet. None of them vibrate and all give me a good look behind. What I miss with one I can see with another.
    I also have the Zefal Spy Mirror on my road bike. It's on the frame under the handlebars - all I do is look down and I get a view between my legs. I like it becasue it doesn't stick out far and gives me a good view behind. There is a blind spot, but it's about where my peripheal vision picks up.

  23. #23
    Avatar out of order. MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    North of the border, just
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    There are quite a number of good and affordable mirrors for mountain bikes these days, but less for road bikes. I think that is ironic - mirrors for mountain bikes (watch out for that squirrel behind you).
    Maybe because the roadies are obsessed with weight?? Like spending $20 extra for a carbon bottle cage that weighs 20 grams less. I haven't figured that one out yet.

  24. #24
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,508
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    What brand of goggles are you using? Where did you get them? Do they work well?
    I use VisorGogs from Lab Safety Supply. $7.50 each. They go over glasses well and don't steam up too badly.

    www.labsafety.com - they have a bunch of goggles for cheap, including tinted versions.

  25. #25
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey boozergut... see why I said "one you'll use?" The opinions vary widely here, but the bottom line is that a mirror you are comfortable with and will use, is the "best" mirror for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •