Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-05, 08:48 AM   #1
dogbro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Bikes: 2 Cannondales
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
man on bike gunned down

ALBUQUERQUE -- There was a sudden eruption of violence in the heart of downtown Albuquerque in broad daylight on Tuesday. A man on his bike was gunned down and then robbed by another person as he lay bleeding outside the convention center.
Albuquerque Police say the victim was riding his bike along 1st Street near Tijeras just before 2 p.m.. Police say a turquoise colored compact car pulled up, someone got out and shot the man on the bike.

The shooter then got back in the car and left.

The bicyclist, who may have been shot more than once, was lying in the street when someone else walked up and stole his bike.

"Some people are saying that a lot of people who are homeless are known to hang out in this area,” says APD Trish Hoffman. “But we don't know if that's who it was, we haven't been able to confirm that by talking with him yet."

Police have not released the man's identity and have not yet had a chance to speak to him because he was rushed to the hospital.

Apparently no one got the car's license plate, but the man who pulled the trigger is described as being in his 20’s with a dark complexion.
dogbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 08:51 AM   #2
kf5nd
Senior Member
 
kf5nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX 77095
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The key is... what is the background of the cyclist? Innocent victim or rival gang member?

Just because his vehicle was a bike... doesn't meant squat.
kf5nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 05:58 AM   #3
rgilmore
Member
 
rgilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk 7
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist a couple of weeks ago. I was flying down a one way street when this goof with hip length dreads is doing slow "S's" across two lanes, not paying attention to anything. I am trying to ride past him on the left and he does a turn and heads right in front of me. I say "whoa, whoa, whoa" and he moves over and I go past. Two blocks later I am stopped at a light, it turns green and he comes up to me and asks "You got a problem?" I say no and keep going, but he keeps riding alongside, telling me what he's going to do to me.

I park my bike and tell him to bring it on. He sees that I am not a fat guy on a bike like he thought I was but a life long gym rat and all of a sudden he doesn't want to get physical with me but promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me. I told him where to find me, but I've only seen him one time since (while I was driving).

Bad guys ride bikes too.
rgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 02:13 PM   #4
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see those idiots all the time....i worry about them more crashing into me than anything else.
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 05:32 PM   #5
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I need a bit more info before I can really care.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:49 PM   #6
slagjumper
Senior Member
 
slagjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Down on East End Avenue.
Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bikes dont kill people, Charelton Heston does. (did?) If you do a seach on bicycle in the news, you'd find a that a number of crimes commited on bikes. In this case someone in a car shot the cyclist. Sounds like something outa "cops". I never have problems of this sort. But it could happen. Find any crack layin around?
slagjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 06:00 AM   #7
ItsJustMe
Señior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilmore
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist

promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me.
That's a great argument for having a camera phone. Taking his picture and reporting the assault (or just having his picture in case something happens) would be nice.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 01:36 PM   #8
lilHinault
.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .
Bikes: .
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilmore
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist a couple of weeks ago. I was flying down a one way street when this goof with hip length dreads is doing slow "S's" across two lanes, not paying attention to anything. I am trying to ride past him on the left and he does a turn and heads right in front of me. I say "whoa, whoa, whoa" and he moves over and I go past. Two blocks later I am stopped at a light, it turns green and he comes up to me and asks "You got a problem?" I say no and keep going, but he keeps riding alongside, telling me what he's going to do to me.

I park my bike and tell him to bring it on. He sees that I am not a fat guy on a bike like he thought I was but a life long gym rat and all of a sudden he doesn't want to get physical with me but promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me. I told him where to find me, but I've only seen him one time since (while I was driving).

Bad guys ride bikes too.
Should have grabbed those dreads while he was riding and put him down, that would have been funny!
lilHinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 03:00 PM   #9
doglhunt
barkin' at the moon
 
doglhunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: cornfields NW Ohio
Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slagjumper
Bikes dont kill people, Charelton Heston does. (did?) If you do a seach on bicycle in the news, you'd find a that a number of crimes commited on bikes. In this case someone in a car shot the cyclist. Sounds like something outa "cops". I never have problems of this sort. But it could happen. Find any crack layin around?
What does Charlton Heston have to do with this?
doglhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 03:41 PM   #10
webist
Huachuca Rider
 
webist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 4,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglhunt
What does Charlton Heston have to do with this?
He brought the commandments down from the mountain.
__________________
Just Peddlin' Around
webist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 06:02 PM   #11
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter
 
karmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: OaKsTeRdAm
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf5nd

Just because his vehicle was a bike... doesn't meant squat.
does if he was one of those types that go around yelling and getting agro towards cars, could be a case of someones' mouth writing a check that their behind couldn't cash...


i say this a week after watching 2 cars go at it while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. i watched as these "tough listening to hip hop suburban types" exchanging words with a couple of not so "suburban from the hood types" for a couple miles before i stopped, giving them extra room, just as one of the hood types got out of their car, walked to the trunk. i guess the suburban types must of thought he was changing cds in a trunk mounted cd player, cause they sat right there and waited for this cat to open up...
__________________
Smoke all you want too, we'll grow more...
karmical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.