Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ignoring his opposition to bike lanes, because of reading posts by Helmet Head...

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • My cycling has improved significantly from what I learned from HH's posts.

    5 8.20%
  • My cycling has improved some, but not significantly.

    7 11.48%
  • My cycling has improved indirectly from reading HH's posts, by influencing me to learn about VC on my own.

    4 6.56%
  • My cycling has been unaffected from reading HH's posts because I already ride the VC way he advocates.

    12 19.67%
  • My cycling has been unaffected from reading HH's posts because I disagree with the cycling approach he advocates.

    5 8.20%
  • My cycling has gotten worse thanks to HH!

    8 13.11%
  • N/A - I have not read enough of HH's posts to be affected one way or the other.

    10 16.39%
  • Other - See my explanation in a separate post below.

    10 16.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post a lot here. Some people complain about my approach, others thank me for what they've learned from my posts. I'm trying to get a feel for where I stand over all, to decide what value the time I spend here has.

    Thanks for helping me out.

    (It's not about safety in numbers, but part of the reason I post here is to reach others. I want to know if I'm reaching others).
    Last edited by Helmet Head; 10-21-05 at 12:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    I post a lot here. Some people complain about my approach, others thank me for what they've learned from my posts. I'm trying to get a feel for where I stand over all, to decide what value the time I spend here has.

    Thanks for helping me out.

    (poll is coming soon, please stand by)
    Remember to be true to yourself.

    If you've helped anyone, good. If you've ticked anyone off, what are you worried about? Going through life without offending anyone has very little reward, except that you gain false kudos and have no opinion of your own to show for it.

    No need for a poll. There's no safety in numbers.
    No worries

  3. #3
    Gravel for Breakfast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Inside my scabs
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is a china shop, and YOU are the bull. Go nuts.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

  4. #4
    JRA
    JRA is offline
    Senior Member JRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    I post a lot here.
    And you're just noticing this?

    Dude, not everything is about you. If people don't like your posts, they don't have to read them. It ain't rocket science.

    This is just an internet message board. The future of the world is not going to be significantly altered by what does or doesn't get posted on bikeforums.

    I voted "My cycling has gotten worse thanks to HH!"

    Lighten up.
    "It may even be that motoring is more healthful than not motoring; death rates were certainly higher in the pre-motoring age."- John Forester
    "Laws cannot be properly understood as if written in plain English..."- Forester defending obfuscation.
    "Motorist propaganda, continued for sixty years, is what has put cyclists on sidewalks." - Forester, sociologist in his own mind
    "'There are no rules of the road on MUPs.' -John Forester" - Helmet Head quoting 'The Great One'

  5. #5
    Senior Member iamtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    La Habra, CA.
    Posts
    2,979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose: "My cycling has neither improved nor gotten worse because while HH is very knowledgable about VC, his presentation style is a turn-off for me." Which is, actually, "Other".

    I would have chosen "My cycling has been unaffected from reading HH's posts because I already ride the VC way he advocates", but I don't ride VC because HH's presentation style makes me not want to associate with VC. I ride safely, I ride defensively, and I follow traffic laws. I ride in bike lanes and cross over the bike lane stripe when I need to, just as I cross over the other lane stripes when merging into a left-hand turn lane from the bike lane.

    Tim.

  6. #6
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    I voted "My cycling has gotten worse thanks to HH!"
    I figured that was you...


    Lighten up? I'm the one who put that choice in the poll!

    And, frankly, I don't feel like lightening up on the issue of making cycling safer and more popular.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The Land of Oversized Mice and Anteaters
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HH, this just seems like a cry for attention. While you do contribute a lot, I don't think it's really necessary for us to validate (or invalidate) your presence here. Just keep doing what you're doing.

  8. #8
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realized posting this poll thread might look like an "it's all about me" cry for attention, but, frankly, I don't care. People who need to like or respect someone before they will pay attention to what he is saying have probably already found reason to tune me out. I certainly provide enough rationale for such people!

    I'm trying to figure out what value, if any, my posts provide for the others, those who learn with their minds, not their emotions, so I can decide if my time here is worthwhile. I don't know of a better way to ascertain this, so, as usual, I proceed despite how it might appear to the emotional judgmental types. I don't know how to reach them anyway.

  9. #9
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim
    but I don't ride VC because HH's presentation style makes me not want to associate with VC.
    That is a fantastastic reason! Did you know it has been proven that the more you VC, the more like Serge you become.

    ps- if you follow closely you will find there are others (Steve, Roody, etc.) who tout the benefits of VC, but haven't (fortunately) turned into Serge clones.

    Bottom line is that Serge is a 'personality' on these forums like many others and everyone collectively makes it an interesting place.

    Al

  10. #10
    hill hater nova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head
    My Bikes
    cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973
    Posts
    2,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked other but this is fairly fitting as well. My cycling has been unaffected from reading HH's posts because I disagree with the cycling approach he advocates

    While i dont disagree with VC i do disagree with the claim it can and does work every where. Wich btw is the only problem i have with you as well. You simply cant acept the fact that VC doesnt work every where and tend to sugest or imply that its some how the cyclists fault because they do not asert them self strongly enough. Then theres the stuff like showing the driver your the "alpha dog". I do not see how you can asert your alpha dog status on a driver of a 6k pound suv its just not going to happen. VC's biggest problem is its to reliant on the driver behind the wheel.

    As a over all concept VC has potential but fails to take the drivers of cars trucks etc in to account. VC can and does work great in some places infact ive never disputed this. Generaly these places where it does work are already cyclist freindly to begin with.

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crickets chirping. Yawn, Yawn, Yawn! I am not interested in reading any of it. So I voted other.

  12. #12
    Rides again HiYoSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    W. Sacramento Region, aka, Nut Tree
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to put other because all the discussion about VC is too darn confusing. I don't have time to plow thru threads, but I am interested in improving safety.

    What I find missing is:


    1. a cheat sheet/overview of what is VC. Not a book but a usuable definition. So many people seem to have their
    own definition of VC. Some take it to mean share the road and act predictably like another vehicle. Others seem to take
    it to mean hog the road and make drivers wait on poorly designed road segments.

    2. a summary table:
    ColA-- Riding Situation ColB-- VC response ColC-- nonVC response ColD-- discussion


    3. Statistical resource references
    URL's of statistical data showing effectiveness of VC riding style.
    Hi 'o Silver away

  13. #13
    |+|+|+|+|+|+| * jack *'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    My Bikes
    more, please.
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply admire your conviction.

    However, beware the dangers of zealotry.

  14. #14
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,437
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helmet Head: I generally accept VC. My only complaint about you is that your advocacy is relentless and can come across as preachy. Ease up a bit on the sheer number of pro-VC posts and the sometimes shrill tone, and your message will get through more effectively.
    RGC
    ps. that'll be $.02, please.

  15. #15
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HiYoSilver - for an overview of VC, click on VC in my signature. I like the summary table idea. Data is hard to find...


    Jack and Cooker, I hear you, but i Yam what I Yam. My philosophy is I don't care what anyone thinks of me or my zealous/militant in your face approach or presentation. What matters to me is what, if anything, they get out of the ideas and concepts that I write about.

  16. #16
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is helmet head also the poster that is distinctly liberatarian in his approach to helmet laws?

    Lets his kids ride VC in traffic without a helmet, what an IDIOT! and patently dangerous to all who fall sway to his dogma.

  17. #17
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bekologist, though I happen to be a libertarian, I believe you have me confused with someone else. I would never let my child cycle without a helmet, nor would I ride without one myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    Lets his kids ride VC in traffic without a helmet, what an IDIOT! and patently dangerous to all who fall sway to his dogma.
    Do you normally form your strong negative opinions about others ("IDIOT!", "his dogma") before you're sure of the facts, or is this just an unfortunate exception?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    I had to put other because all the discussion about VC is too darn confusing. I don't have time to plow thru threads, but I am interested in improving safety.

    What I find missing is:


    1. a cheat sheet/overview of what is VC. Not a book but a usuable definition. So many people seem to have their
    own definition of VC. Some take it to mean share the road and act predictably like another vehicle. Others seem to take
    it to mean hog the road and make drivers wait on poorly designed road segments.

    2. a summary table:
    ColA-- Riding Situation ColB-- VC response ColC-- nonVC response ColD-- discussion


    3. Statistical resource references
    URL's of statistical data showing effectiveness of VC riding style.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for peer reviewed entries in column three.
    I ride the way that I believe is best for me. I also try to follow the laws of my state when riding.

  19. #19
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, HH, I had you mixed up with the helmet law libertarian in here, my apologies.

    I still wish you'd lighten up on the 'VC as gospel' bullshizzie though. My mom WANTS bike lanes and paths.

  20. #20
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head
    Bekologist, though I happen to be a libertarian, I believe you have me confused with someone else. I would never let my child cycle without a helmet, nor would I ride without one myself.

    Do you normally form your strong negative opinions about others ("IDIOT!", "his dogma") before you're sure of the facts, or is this just an unfortunate exception?
    Forget the helmet reference.

    I don't have HH/Serge confused with anyone else and I understand his so-called messages and formed VERY negative opinions about him based explicitly on his counterproductive "advocacy" proselytizing all over the Internet.

    And he has had ZERO affect on my cycling. I laugh at his presumption of the effectiveness/impact of his preaching.
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-21-05 at 04:10 PM.

  21. #21
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    What I find missing is:
    3. Statistical resource references - URL's of statistical data showing effectiveness of VC riding style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Don't hold your breath waiting for peer reviewed entries in column three.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for even non peer reviewed statistical data showing effectiveness of VC riding style, or any other measured result of those who are allegedly of the VC riding style persuasion. There ain't no stinkin' data; zip, zilch, nada. Only speculation and guesswork.

  22. #22
    Senior Member nick burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Absecon, NJ
    My Bikes
    Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    I ride the way that I believe is best for me. I also try to follow the laws of my state when riding.

    My philosphy as well.




    Serge- I gotta give you a bunch of points for tenacity. I wish I had half the energy & attention span you seem to have!

  23. #23
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did'nt even know you existed until I saw this thread...

  24. #24
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Over the last year or so, I have greatly valued Helmet Head's posts. I have been trying to learn how to have more fun (and be safer) while cycling in traffic. So far, HH's suggestions have worked real well for me. I've never been much of a dogmatist, so I'll let you all know if something does NOT work, too.

    Maybe it's harder for you more experienced cyclists to see how valuable his clear and insistent statements can be. I mean, if you're already good, it can be boring to read the same points one more time. Also, if you're very good, you have your own opinions based on your own experience and reading. Often, your ideas might be only slightly different fom his, but to you that tiny difference is important. I mean, to an agnostic, there wouldn't be much difference between a Presbyterian and a Methodist church service, but to the regular churchgoers it seems there are major differences. Small differences seem important when beliefs are passionately held!

    I have a strong feeling that if sbhikes, noisebeam, bekologist (and many others) were to actually ride with Serge, they would all be doing pretty much the same thing on the road. I guess genec and HH did ride together, and it went OK, I think?

    HH, I think it's good to remember that many of the people who read these posts are not themselves members of this forum. Many new riders, people who are just picking up their first bikes as adults, lurk around here. They need to read about vehicular cycling. Every "serious" cyclist needs to learn about it, because it is the best articulated method of riding with other traffic that has been formulated. (I think the recent "anti-VC" threads proved this point pretty well.) Many of these newbies will not vote in this poll, so, unfortunately, those you help the most may not speak up. But that does not mean they're not out there.

    BTW--newbies! It's real easy to register for the forums and post your own thoughts about Helmet Head, VC or anything else. I urge you to register now and vote in this poll. It might be fun!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  25. #25
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    I have a strong feeling that if ...., noisebeam, ... were to actually ride with Serge, hey would all be doing pretty much the same thing on the road.
    Where did you get the impression otherwise? I ride vehicularly every day. Sometimes I challege vehicular methods on this forum when I am struggling to get a specific situation to work for me, but I only do so for the learning process, not for the purpose of proving VC wrong.

    The only time I don't is when I go out in my immediate hood for a late night 10min ride where I break every guideline I support and them some. For example did you know that when riding down the sidewalk the wrong way its best not to have a headlight since drivers may see you and stop when they have the right of way?

    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •