Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-05, 02:06 PM   #1
Cuddles
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not just on Bikes!

Just got back home from a 10 mile round-trip with my father-in-law, riding in his truck (we live on a farm).

Coming up the road (2 lane, what most people around here call a "holler road"), we were forced into the ditch by some smeghead heading the other way in a bright orange pickup (painted EXACTLY like the "General Lee" with the big "01" on the side and everything). He was ENTIRELY OVER the double-line in the road, on OUR side! (And no, this wasn't anywhere near a curve!).

As he passed, knocking the driver's side mirror off Dad's truck, he blew his horn (of COURSE it plays "Dixie" too!).

We sat there a minute, and then Dad said, "Well, he's definitely a redneck."

"Really? What gave it away?" I asked.

Dad grinned and said, "His license plate says RDNECK right on it."

Just got done calling the cops... This guy should be easy to find.

So the moral of my little story is, it's not just bikes that get buzzed!
Cuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 02:17 PM   #2
nova
hill hater
 
nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head
Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Just got back home from a 10 mile round-trip with my father-in-law, riding in his truck (we live on a farm).

Coming up the road (2 lane, what most people around here call a "holler road"), we were forced into the ditch by some smeghead heading the other way in a bright orange pickup (painted EXACTLY like the "General Lee" with the big "01" on the side and everything). He was ENTIRELY OVER the double-line in the road, on OUR side! (And no, this wasn't anywhere near a curve!).

As he passed, knocking the driver's side mirror off Dad's truck, he blew his horn (of COURSE it plays "Dixie" too!).

We sat there a minute, and then Dad said, "Well, he's definitely a redneck."

"Really? What gave it away?" I asked.

Dad grinned and said, "His license plate says RDNECK right on it."

Just got done calling the cops... This guy should be easy to find.

So the moral of my little story is, it's not just bikes that get buzzed!
Well mr rdneck best be glad it wasnt my dad. My dad would have chased him down and knocked the crap out of him heh.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 02:20 PM   #3
Helmet Head
Banned.
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess driving a truck vehicularly just doesn't work in all areas all the time...
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 04:14 PM   #4
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I guess driving a truck vehicularly just doesn't work in all areas all the time...
Or it just goes to show that there are azzholes out there... and your driving/riding style doesn't mean a hill of beans to them.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 04:15 PM   #5
Cuddles
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
Well mr rdneck best be glad it wasnt my dad. My dad would have chased him down and knocked the crap out of him heh.
Well, my "dad" (father-in-law, but I call him Dad) would too, but he's 83. Still drives perfectly though, and gets around better than I do on occasion.
Cuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 05:13 PM   #6
nycm'er
militant commuter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lower manhattan
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
We sat there a minute, and then Dad said, "Well, he's definitely a redneck."
HA HA HA HA!!!!
nycm'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 09:02 AM   #7
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!
 
oboeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh, vanity plates bite 'em in the butt every time.
oboeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 02:56 AM   #8
powerhouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, Maine USA
Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DORKS of Hazard live on?

Last edited by powerhouse; 10-24-05 at 12:01 PM.
powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 09:52 AM   #9
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too funny!
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 11:27 AM   #10
JackTheLadd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Just got back home from a 10 mile round-trip with my father-in-law, riding in his truck (we live on a farm).

Coming up the road (2 lane, what most people around here call a "holler road"), we were forced into the ditch by some smeghead heading the other way in a bright orange pickup (painted EXACTLY like the "General Lee" with the big "01" on the side and everything). He was ENTIRELY OVER the double-line in the road, on OUR side! (And no, this wasn't anywhere near a curve!).

As he passed, knocking the driver's side mirror off Dad's truck, he blew his horn (of COURSE it plays "Dixie" too!).

We sat there a minute, and then Dad said, "Well, he's definitely a redneck."

"Really? What gave it away?" I asked.

Dad grinned and said, "His license plate says RDNECK right on it."

Just got done calling the cops... This guy should be easy to find.

So the moral of my little story is, it's not just bikes that get buzzed!

Just wanted to say "Respec'!" for the use of "Smeghead". First time I've seen it on BF.



Cheers,
J.
JackTheLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.