Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Glass on road? Call Your Maintenance Guy!

    I like to ride the 914 bypass around Somerset. It has wide aprons, rolling hills, and is pretty safe. The only trouble is, the aprons are loaded with glass shards and auto parts, the result of numerous wrecks and half-assed clean up. So I called my County Road Maintenance Dept., and complained to the head guy about the glass. He said they would run a sweeper on both sides of the highway (about 70 miles both sides) within two weeks. It has been 2 weeks, and nothing yet. I plan to call him next week and make a pest of myself. I have had three flats in three weeks from the glass.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  2. #2
    "Il Pontificatore" The Pontificato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The South
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    I like to ride the 914 bypass around Somerset. It has wide aprons, rolling hills, and is pretty safe. The only trouble is, the aprons are loaded with glass shards and auto parts, the result of numerous wrecks and half-assed clean up. So I called my County Road Maintenance Dept., and complained to the head guy about the glass. He said they would run a sweeper on both sides of the highway (about 70 miles both sides) within two weeks. It has been 2 weeks, and nothing yet. I plan to call him next week and make a pest of myself. I have had three flats in three weeks from the glass.
    If you can't get anywhere further with this make you get the full name of the maintenance supervisor...for your letter to the local newspaper. Nothing gets someone's attention like the specter of negative publicity.

  3. #3
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pontificato: Great idea! I will do this if they don't clean the road within a week or so. Does your name indicate you go around spreading your knowledge among the uninformed? I do this with my wife and 21 year old daughter, but they routinely ignore my great wisdom. ;-)
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  4. #4
    Guest
    Guest
    Sind them a bill for each new inner tube you have to purchase for the glass you've run over. In time, it could add up and get their attention.

    Koffee

  5. #5
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,274
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    Sind them a bill for each new inner tube you have to purchase for the glass you've run over. In time, it could add up and get their attention.

    Koffee
    Just curious; have you, or anybody else ever had any success collecting on a tire/bicycle repair bill submitted to "them"?

  6. #6
    "Il Pontificatore" The Pontificato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The South
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    Does your name indicate you go around spreading your knowledge among the uninformed? I do this with my wife and 21 year old daughter, but they routinely ignore my great wisdom. ;-)
    I really wish Bob Gardner would let me re-set my username to "ThePontificator". I didn't realize that usernames have a 15-character maximum.

    Yes, I do love to pontificate! It's also a play on my last name.

    Before "raising cane" with the local media you may also wish to make your request known during the next meeting of your countiy's board of supervisors or county council meeting. I'd take that tack first and not mention the "media thing" to them and only use it as a court of last resort. Many TV stations have a "troubleshooter" feature where people who cannot get relief from various problems (potholes, lousy roads, etc.) get their problems fixed...again, the spectre of negative publicity.
    Last edited by The Pontificato; 12-27-05 at 06:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is, in Somerset, KY I am in a distinct minority. Our population is 12,000, and in the past six months I can use the fingers on one hand to count the number of oncoming cyclists I have passed. The only thing that passes you here are blue haired old ladies in four door Lincolns, and they don't drive these things, they aim them.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call in and don't mention the fact you are a cyclist. Say the glass on the shoulder is forcing bicycles out into the lanes of the road and cause a traffic hazard (yeah I know taking the lane is actually safer but maybe if you "Spin" it from a "Car owning fine upstanding citizen" type tack they might listen?)
    Sunrise saturday,
    I was biking the backroads,
    lost in the moment.

  9. #9
    Macaws Rock! michaelnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted to the SF Bicycle Coalition mailing list about a trench the city had dug clear across Folsom Street in San Francisco. Two days later it was fixed, and I got a nice email from the guy who is responsible for the City's bicycle program... someone on the staff had seen my post and called it in.
    ---

    San Francisco, California

  10. #10
    Dominatrikes sbhikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Still in Santa Barbara
    My Bikes
    Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
    Posts
    4,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    ...blue haired old ladies in four door Lincolns, and they don't drive these things, they aim them.
    They aim them?? I'd think even that was too intentional.
    ~Diane
    Recumbents: Lightning Thunderbolt, '06 Catrike Pocket. Upright: Trek Mountain Bike.
    8.5 mile commute. I like bike lanes.

  11. #11
    beginner budster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro
    Posts
    764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pontificato
    I really wish Bob Gardner would let me re-set my username to "ThePontificator". I didn't realize that usernames have a 15-character maximum.

    Yes, I do love to pontificate! It's also a play on my last name.
    I like "Pontificato" -- it has a certain, I don't know...European flavor and a little mystery. Adds weight to your, uh, pontifications. Maybe you could change it to "El Pontificato"....

    Back on topic: I'd call them once more, then do the media thing. I like koffee's idea too, and I'm also curious as to how/if that works.

    In the "knock on wood" department: since I switched to Conti Town & Country tires I haven't had any glass flats. I was averaging one every six weeks before that. You might try a road equivalent, something like this? http://www.conti-online.com/generato...a_race_en.html
    Path of Abundance: Be Kind, be Generous, be Content, be Honest and be Aware.

    The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example. -Thomas Morell
    A thimble of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains. -Dutch Proverb
    Never pass up the chance to keep your mouth shut. -Anonymous Cowboy

  12. #12
    "Il Pontificatore" The Pontificato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The South
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budster
    I like "Pontificato" -- it has a certain, I don't know...European flavor and a little mystery. Adds weight to your, uh, pontifications. Maybe you could change it to "El Pontificato"....
    More like an Antonio Banderas "what's in that guitar case?" sort of vibe...

    "EEEEYAAAAIIIIIEEEEE!!!! Eet eez...EL PONTIFICATO!!!!!"

  13. #13
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul: Great idea! I will do this. I like the idea of presenting myself as a solid, upstanding citizen, when actually all these years I've been a shiftless, good for nothing saddle bum! Thanks for the tip.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    Paul: Great idea! I will do this. I like the idea of presenting myself as a solid, upstanding citizen, when actually all these years I've been a shiftless, good for nothing saddle bum! Thanks for the tip.
    Heard someone did this and had a 100% different reaction. It is really stupid that people think that way. Most of the people I know that ride bikes are lawyers and such but unfortunately some people don't see it that way. Kinda stupid a person would get a different response if they didn't think it was a cyclist.
    Sunrise saturday,
    I was biking the backroads,
    lost in the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •