Thought I would post this extract from this email that was forwarded to me by the local cycling club.
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 5:07 PM
Subject: BikeLeague News
Welcome to the League of American Bicyclists' electronic newsletter,
BikeLeague News. Feel free to forward this to fellow cyclists and others who
may be interested, but please make sure to credit the League of American
Bicyclists as your source. To join or learn more about the League, visit
HELP CDC COLLECT DATA ON INJURIES TO BICYCLISTS CAUSED BY DRIVERS
As part of its efforts to advance bicycle safety through the National
Bicycle Safety Network http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/bike , the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is compiling cases of bicyclists who
have been injured by a driver not sharing the road. CDC is gathering data on
both unintentional and intentional acts by motorists to assess the severity
of the problem and to explore possible trends in these incidents. All
information will be treated confidentially. Please forward this request to
other cyclists and post this on your website for the next week.
If you have experienced such a case yourself, please let CDC know the
details by writing to Reshma Mahendra, MPH at email@example.com by Friday, May
18, 2001. In one paragraph, 250 words or less, please give a short
description of the incident that includes as much of the following
information as is known:
* Initials of bicyclist(s) involved in a collision or incident
with a motor vehicle
* Age of bicyclist
* Date and Time of incident
* Location of incident (highway, residential street, etc.)
including city and state
* Was the bicyclist injured? What were the injuries?
* Was there a head injury?
* What was the mechanism of the collision? (car turned into path
of bicycle, hit from behind, etc.)
* Who was at fault in the collision (and who determined fault)?
* Was it a hit and run?
* Was alcohol involved? (Was a citation issued for drinking,
did the motorist appear to be intoxicated, etc.)
* Was the person (either bicyclist or motorist) at fault
issued a citation or charged?
* If so, what were the details of the citation/charge?
(Was there a citation, court appearance? How much was the fine
or what was the verdict and sentence?)