Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-06, 09:11 PM   #1
olivieri83
singlespeed
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
120 dbl alarm bike lock, someone ever have one?

I am interested in one of these bike locks for locking up in the city during the day (at night indoor). I found these online, has any one ever had any experiencce with these?

http://www.greenspeed.us/bike_alarm_lock.htm

http://www.bikemania.biz/Attivo_Bicy..._al21-al22.htm
olivieri83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:20 PM   #2
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No experience with it, but I wonder how sensitive it is to motion. Is it going to go off if someone locked their bike next to yours on a rack and jostled it? That wouldn't be good.
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 09:02 AM   #3
Caspar_s
Senior Member
 
Caspar_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Burlington, ON
Bikes: Giant Tcx1
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Alarm
No false alarms from wind or motion.
It is important to understand that Lock Alarm is NOT motion sensitive so accidental knocks from passers by, windy conditions, movement caused in transit etc. will NOT cause the alarm to sound. Basically, if the alarm sounds, it means someone is forcefully attacking the cable or the main unit.
Not sure about the other one. Sounds like a good idea - as long as you are close when it goes off. Otherwise you get the situation like with car alarms - everyone ignores them. Might get people to at least look - just because most bikes don't have alarms.
Caspar_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 10:24 AM   #4
krazygluon
Mad scientist w/a wrench
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chucktown
Bikes: none working atm
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've thought about getting one, I think i'd rather find a way to electrify the bike (maybe after a few warnings) still not foolproof, but I think anyone would think twice before getting tazed for trying to steal a bike.

With an audible alarm, the previously mentioned problem of having to be close enough to it that you can hear it exists. otherwise you rely on nice people intervening on your behalf.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 11:40 AM   #5
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril
 
Treespeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seattle Refugee in Los Angeles
Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante
Posts: 3,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazygluon
I've thought about getting one, I think i'd rather find a way to electrify the bike (maybe after a few warnings) still not foolproof, but I think anyone would think twice before getting tazed for trying to steal a bike.

With an audible alarm, the previously mentioned problem of having to be close enough to it that you can hear it exists. otherwise you rely on nice people intervening on your behalf.
Despite the gimmick of an alarm these look like poor quality locks. You'd be better off spending a little more on one of the top of the line chains or u-locks and not relying on strangers to confront a bike thief on your behalf.
__________________
Non semper erit aestas.
Treespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 04:28 PM   #6
ken cummings
Senior Member
 
ken cummings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: northern California
Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Posts: 5,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Despite the gimmick of an alarm these look like poor quality locks. You'd be better off spending a little more on one of the top of the line chains or u-locks and not relying on strangers to confront a bike thief on your behalf.
Agreed. The lock mechanism has to fit in that little 'box' along with two batteries and the alarm circuit. I would rather have more metal in the casing and a thicker lock.

On the electrified bike posts most states have laws about "Man Trapping". Any zap strong enough to do any good might kill some Senior that brushes against it .
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 04:52 PM   #7
Caspar_s
Senior Member
 
Caspar_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Burlington, ON
Bikes: Giant Tcx1
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uhh, multiple locks...

Most lock recommendations mention have a cable and a chain/u-lock so that a thief who is set for one type might think twice. Having something that will draw attention as well as a more sturdy type is good. Face it, most locks are not going to stop a determined person - just slow them down and/or make them find an easier target.
Caspar_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 05:07 PM   #8
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It might make a good 2nd lock for those of us who use more than 1.
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 05:18 PM   #9
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar_s
Uhh, multiple locks...

Most lock recommendations mention have a cable and a chain/u-lock so that a thief who is set for one type might think twice. Having something that will draw attention as well as a more sturdy type is good. Face it, most locks are not going to stop a determined person - just slow them down and/or make them find an easier target.
Bike thieves are like car thieves, they depend on the quick getaway, most car thieves depend on being able to break into a car, start it and be underway in less than 15 seconds, and a bike thief also depends on a similar time frame, if they can cut your lock and be underway in under 15 seconds, then your bike is history, and likely with the alarm lock, the lock will be sitting there screaming long after the bike is gone. Okay maybe it stops screaming, when you take a blunt object and beat the living daylights out of it .

Two locks doubles the amount of time it takes, and requires different tools, one possible "lock" is to keep a spare spoke around, use it to hook the chain, and drop it beside the small chainring. The thief then needs to hook the chain back on, and cut the lock, that takes too much time, and they will grab the next bike, that has the kind of lock they are looking for. Another deterant is to use a seat quick release, and take the seat with you, now the thief needs to attach a seat, put the chain back on, and cut the lock.

Of course, some thieves will stand to avoid the seat problem, except they missed the unhooked chain, and just ended up with a nasty groin plant Of course, you need to make sure, you rehook the chain when you return.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 01:51 PM   #10
harry70
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've got one of these!!!

Hiya,

I haven't tried one of the alarms mentioned above, I purchased this little neat device that I found on the web. www.timani-ltd.com This is such a great device... but still got a nice big chain lock ;-). Cheap as well! Had my bike stolen before and its such a pain. Hopefully just having something else other then a lock will make people think twice and go for the next bike. I don't want any1 to have there bikes stolen but at the end of the day it happens.
harry70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 02:01 PM   #11
tbdean
Senior Member
 
tbdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to steal a bike in NYC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZbklkFuFk-4
tbdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 02:08 PM   #12
harry70
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow... in a not good way. That is really disturbing.
harry70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 02:17 PM   #13
nova
hill hater
 
nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head
Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you got a good lock go buy a cheap personal alarm fasten the unit up under your seat and the lanyard to your wheel. If some one beats your lock and tries to roll away the pin will get pulled setting the alarm off. I use one my self if i plan on going in some place for a extended period of time. Had some one try to take my bike they didn't get very far hehe.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 02:18 PM   #14
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Bikes: not enough
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Bike thieves are like car thieves, they depend on the quick getaway, most car thieves depend on being able to break into a car, start it and be underway in less than 15 seconds, and a bike thief also depends on a similar time frame, if they can cut your lock and be underway in under 15 seconds, then your bike is history, and likely with the alarm lock, the lock will be sitting there screaming long after the bike is gone. Okay maybe it stops screaming, when you take a blunt object and beat the living daylights out of it .

Two locks doubles the amount of time it takes, and requires different tools, one possible "lock" is to keep a spare spoke around, use it to hook the chain, and drop it beside the small chainring. The thief then needs to hook the chain back on, and cut the lock, that takes too much time, and they will grab the next bike, that has the kind of lock they are looking for. Another deterant is to use a seat quick release, and take the seat with you, now the thief needs to attach a seat, put the chain back on, and cut the lock.

Of course, some thieves will stand to avoid the seat problem, except they missed the unhooked chain, and just ended up with a nasty groin plant Of course, you need to make sure, you rehook the chain when you return.
you would need to take a crappy nalgene and throw the chain in that and then take it in wid you I wonder if the chain would last after taking it apart and putting it back together a whole bunch instead of riding away they would have to walk away but even after 6 minutes in the neistat bros film it shows how ignorant people are or unkind
ryanparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.