Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-06, 05:54 AM   #1
Bike_UK
Pedal Power!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stick to the cycle paths

in the UK at least:
http://www.bikebiz.com/newsitem.php?id=24246

Brief summary: A cyclist was fined 300 (about US$550) for 'inconsiderate cycling' for using the middle of his lane instead of the adjoining cycle path.

I am very uncomfortable with this decision as using the road instead of the cycle path is something i do twice a day on my commute. The path on my journey is not wide enough in places for two cycles to pass and receives no maintainence meaning parts of it resemble no more than a gravel track.
Bike_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 08:02 AM   #2
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci
 
LittleBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 8,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike_UK
in the UK at least:
http://www.bikebiz.com/newsitem.php?id=24246

Brief summary: A cyclist was fined £300 (about US$550) for 'inconsiderate cycling' for using the middle of his lane instead of the adjoining cycle path.
I really wish someone would show me how this treatment of cyclists amounts to something better than intimidation and evil discrimination. At least the judge who issued the fine is on the fringes, and this act is not thought to set a precedent.

I hope this cyclist gets his fair day in court.
__________________
No worries
LittleBigMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 08:42 AM   #3
markf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frisco, CO
Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been following this case on the Cycling Plus forum and on uk.rec.cycling, the USENET newsgroup. The judge seemed to be making up his own rules as he goes along, and he seems to have a pretty substantial bias against cyclists, among other issues.

I like having the option of choosing between the bike path and the road, I think every responsible cyclist should have that option, and I hope this kind of judicial stupidity doesn't spread to the US. The Cycle Touring Club is helping with the cost of this cyclist's defense through their defense fund, but apparently going to court in the UK is at least as expensive as going to court in the US. I've made a small donation to the CTC Defense Fund, I encourage others on this forum to do the same. Maybe if the British judiciary find out that their antics are drawing international attention then they'll reconsider their behavior.
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/
markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 08:54 AM   #4
nova
hill hater
 
nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head
Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markf
I've been following this case on the Cycling Plus forum and on uk.rec.cycling, the USENET newsgroup. The judge seemed to be making up his own rules as he goes along, and he seems to have a pretty substantial bias against cyclists, among other issues.

I like having the option of choosing between the bike path and the road, I think every responsible cyclist should have that option, and I hope this kind of judicial stupidity doesn't spread to the US. The Cycle Touring Club is helping with the cost of this cyclist's defense through their defense fund, but apparently going to court in the UK is at least as expensive as going to court in the US. I've made a small donation to the CTC Defense Fund, I encourage others on this forum to do the same. Maybe if the British judiciary find out that their antics are drawing international attention then they'll reconsider their behavior.
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/
Were lucky it can't happen here. You might get ticketed by your city cop but unless the state gives the city the legal right to enforce laws restricting cyclists or your state law says you must use them when provided its not something that will hold up in court.
Go to court and watch as the ticket is tossed out.

No city i ohio can even have such laws on the books any more heheh
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 11:29 AM   #5
cc_rider
Calamari to go
 
cc_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Falls Church, VA
Bikes: Trek 750
Posts: 3,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does Britain have a process for removing incompetent judges from office?
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 03:01 PM   #6
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have a bizarre law which says that motorists may cross a double white line (road centre) to overtake a cyclist who is doing 10mph or less. This rider was doing 30mph (downhill) so drivers could not legally overtake him, so, according to the arresting officer, he was causing an obstruction. He was told he should have been riding in the cycle lane.

There was no cycle lane, merely a white line a couple of feet from the road edge, designed to indicate where the edge was. There was, however, a shared use ped/cycle path on the opposite side of the road, which Judge Morgan said he should have used, instead of obstructing motorists.

The speed limit on the road is 60mph and the stretch concerned is 0.59km long (645 yds), so the max holdup would have been 44sec(bike) minus 22 sec (car).

Judge Morgan is notorious for dismissing a case against a police officer, who, without authorisation from a senior officer, decided to drive a police pursuit car at 159mph (max 70) on a motorway and 80mph in a 30mph area, arguing that he needed to try the car out at 3am when it was safe. The judges decision was reversed on appeal.

The judge is a pillock
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 03:25 AM   #7
Bike_UK
Pedal Power!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
Were lucky it can't happen here. You might get ticketed by your city cop but unless the state gives the city the legal right to enforce laws restricting cyclists or your state law says you must use them when provided its not something that will hold up in court.
Go to court and watch as the ticket is tossed out.

No city i ohio can even have such laws on the books any more heheh
The problem is that there is no law restricting cyclists to cycle paths here, which is why this case is so important. Although it won't set a legal precedent, as such, if the cyclist does not get justice under appeal there is no reason that the same set of circumstances couldn't lead to the same result in future.


Markf - on behalf of British cyclists, thank you very much for your support.
Bike_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.