Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-06, 03:22 PM   #1
Ny Cykel
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a bicycle/car crash this morning

The guy had no helmet, riding against traffic, on and off the side walk. The only reason I didn't pass him as I stopped at the lights.
Finaly he was east bound in the gutter going against traffic, a car comming from the north turned right on to the lane he was riding in, the driver was looking for traffic comming from the east and did not even look west, and for about a second I saw the car try to avoid the bike and bang, he went down.
I think he busted a leg and his head was all bloody.

I remember when I first started commuting, the old timers said, ride with the traffic, they were right.
After today I clearly see why.

and "WEAR A HELMET!" They all said.

Last edited by Ny Cykel; 08-13-06 at 10:22 PM.
Ny Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 06:29 PM   #2
sbhikes
Dominatrikes
 
sbhikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Still in Santa Barbara
Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
Posts: 4,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let that be a lesson to whoever doesn't know better already.
sbhikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 09:53 PM   #3
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to say it, but it was really his own darned fault...
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 10:40 PM   #4
AlmostTrick
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bedrock, IL
Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
Posts: 4,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can say it was the bicyclists fault, but an attentive motorist with proper training is able to avoid even these kinds of accidents. I find it highly unlikely that I could ever allow my car to hit a cyclist, ped, or even another vehicle no matter what kind of crazy stuff they were doing. Too many drivers today are not trained properly and not attentive enough. But then again I only have more than 20 years of driving with no accidents (or tickets) so what do I know.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-13-06 at 06:51 AM.
AlmostTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 08:33 AM   #5
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny Cykel
The guy had no helmet, riding against traffic, on and off the side walk. The only reason I didn't pas him as I stopped at the lights.
Finaly he was east bound in the gutter going against traffic, a car comming from the north turned right on to the lane he was riding in, the driver was looking for traffic comming from the east and did not even look west, and for about a second I saw the car try to avoid the bike and bang, he wnt down.
I think he busted a leg and his head was all bloody.

I remember when I first started commuting, the old timers say, ride with the traffic, they were right.
After today I clearly see why.

and WEAR A HELMET!
Would a helmet have made the moron ride on the road with traffic instead of against it, prevented him from going off and on the sidewalk? No. The guy was in an accident because he was riiding unpredictably, putting himself where he both should not have been and where the motorist didn't expect him to be. He was reckless and dangerous. And the motorist should have ensured it was safe to turn before he/she began to turn. The motorist was negligent and inattentive. They are both at fault and a helmet or lack of a helmet had nothing to do with anything. Preaching propaganda when it isn't the issue is mere grandstanding.
EnigManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 12:52 PM   #6
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Would a helmet have made the moron ride on the road with traffic instead of against it, prevented him from going off and on the sidewalk? No. The guy was in an accident because he was riiding unpredictably, putting himself where he both should not have been and where the motorist didn't expect him to be. He was reckless and dangerous. And the motorist should have ensured it was safe to turn before he/she began to turn. The motorist was negligent and inattentive. They are both at fault and a helmet or lack of a helmet had nothing to do with anything. Preaching propaganda when it isn't the issue is mere grandstanding.
His lack of helmet may very well have had to do with his bloody head.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 01:34 PM   #7
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even as a constant wearer of helmets, I have to say, this guys lack of a helmet sounds like the absolute least of his mistakes.


But to play the devil's advocate, what was his speed? If he was going near a walking pace, I'd argue also that the motorist should have seen him as one would see a pedestrian.... if they had actually looked.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 01:43 PM   #8
kf5nd
Senior Member
 
kf5nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX 77095
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
29 years here! accident-free cage driving!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You can say it was the bicyclists fault, but an attentive motorist with proper training is able to avoid even these kinds of accidents. I find it highly unlikely that I could ever allow my car to hit a cyclist, ped, or even another vehicle no matter what kind of crazy stuff they were doing. Too many drivers today are not trained properly and not attentive enough. But then again I only have more than 20 years of driving with no accidents (or tickets) so what do I know.
kf5nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 01:48 PM   #9
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Even as a constant wearer of helmets, I have to say, this guys lack of a helmet sounds like the absolute least of his mistakes.


But to play the devil's advocate, what was his speed? If he was going near a walking pace, I'd argue also that the motorist should have seen him as one would see a pedestrian.... if they had actually looked.
Why should he look? Really why look again after looking once? Pedestrians are not an issue, they are on the sidewalk. The driver has to be concerend with the legal cross traffic and also legal U turns. Add checking for all illegal and unsafe things a cyclist can do and he could never make the turn. (The cyclist could come off the side walk in hte same direction he was in hte street and also from behind the driver, both on the street and sidewalk. If a driver checked all those he has to go back to the first two again. Heck I guess he should also check for a cyclist blowing the red also.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 02:40 PM   #10
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
His lack of helmet may very well have had to do with his bloody head.
His helmetless head striking the ground had everything to do with his bloody head, no argument. But his reckless actions and dangerous behaviour had everything to do with being knocked to the ground. Being helmetless is neither a crime nor a contributing factor as to why the collision occured, but the OP touted unfounded propaganda as the lesson to be learned. Really, the OP should have stated 'RIDE ON THE ROAD IN A PREDICTABLE AND SAFE FASHION.' Why focus on a mitigating factor of the injuries suffered as a result of the stupid conduct rather than the stupid conduct itself? That was the issue.
EnigManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 02:47 PM   #11
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigManiac
Would a helmet have made the moron ride on the road with traffic instead of against it, prevented him from going off and on the sidewalk? No.
No, wearing a helmet would likely have protected him from the head injuries he suffered in the collision.

Nice try at misdirection though.

EDIT: Ah, I see your point below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigManiac
His helmetless head striking the ground had everything to do with his bloody head, no argument. But his reckless actions and dangerous behaviour had everything to do with being knocked to the ground. Being helmetless is neither a crime nor a contributing factor as to why the collision occured, but the OP touted unfounded propaganda as the lesson to be learned. Really, the OP should have stated 'RIDE ON THE ROAD IN A PREDICTABLE AND SAFE FASHION.'

Quote:
Why focus on a mitigating factor of the injuries suffered as a result of the stupid conduct rather than the stupid conduct itself? That was the issue.
I don't think anybody is suggesting wearing a helmet INSTEAD OF riding/driving safely.

Still misdirection.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 03:02 PM   #12
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,042
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf5nd
29 years here! accident-free cage driving!
40 here

I firmly believe being an avid cyclist and jogger/pedestrian makes me a better motorist.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 03:09 PM   #13
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Even as a constant wearer of helmets, I have to say, this guys lack of a helmet sounds like the absolute least of his mistakes.
Agreed. And to those trying to skew the discussion towards the bogus either or of wearing a helmet or riding safely, nice try. No one is going to dispute this guy's actions were the direct cause of the acccident. Wearing a helmet would possibly have prevented his head injuries. But clearly riding his bike on the right side of the road and following all of the laws would have prevented the accident altogether.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 03:44 PM   #14
webist
Huachuca Rider
 
webist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 4,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some, nonetheless will attempt via tortured, circuitous logic to bring the blame on the vehicle operator no matter the truth. They have contributory negligence in Turkey too. If you (as a foreigner) weren't there, the accident couldn't have happened.

The remarks about clean and long driving records also reflects the fact that no one hit you either!
__________________
Just Peddlin' Around
webist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 04:05 PM   #15
AlmostTrick
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bedrock, IL
Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
Posts: 4,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webist
The remarks about clean and long driving records also reflects the fact that no one hit you either!
Or that some of us refuse to LET someone hit us. I often read on these forums about how a cyclist riding properly can avoid most accidents, even the ones caused by motorists making stupid mistakes, and I think most would agree with this. Well it's the same thing for the operator of any vehicle!
AlmostTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 04:16 PM   #16
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order
No, wearing a helmet would likely have protected him from the head injuries he suffered in the collision.

Nice try at misdirection though.

EDIT: Ah, I see your point below....




I don't think anybody is suggesting wearing a helmet INSTEAD OF riding/driving safely.

Still misdirection.
It's not misdirection at all. The OP made a bold, capitalized point that the lesson to be learned from the incident was to wear a helmet. I addressed that point. The reason the accident happened had nothing to do with whether the moron cyclist wore a helmet or not, so why did the OP attempt to use reckless, dangerous riding as a reason to promote helmet use?

Incidentally, I am not anti-helmet. I don't wear one myself although I have tried to. I simply find them uncomfortable and intrusive. I wouldn't allow my son to ride without one, however (it's law and he had one incident four years ago when he was eight) I haven't had an accident in 25 years because I ride responsibly, predictably, at a reasonable speed and being both alert and perceptive enough to avoid being hit or hitting.
EnigManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 04:27 PM   #17
Stv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: AJAX not the soap, Canada
Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-o
I hate to say it, but it was really his own darned fault...

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

You are so wrong pal.

The cyclists fault lies in the fact that a helmet "may" have lessened his injuries.

The fact that he was helmetless and was hit by an inattentive motorist is NOT the fault of the cyclist.

You are one of us and you are perpetuating the myth that cyclists are unworthy of sharing the roadway and deserve whatever malicious violence the motoring public inflicts upon us.

Last edited by Stv; 08-14-06 at 05:01 PM.
Stv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 04:36 PM   #18
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigManiac
It's not misdirection at all. The OP made a bold, capitalized point that the lesson to be learned from the incident was to wear a helmet.
Well, not really. He added that as an afterthought. The lesson to be learned from the old-timers was to ride with traffic. And wear a helmet [capitalized].

Quote:
I addressed that point. The reason the accident happened had nothing to do with whether the moron cyclist wore a helmet or not, so why did the OP attempt to use reckless, dangerous riding as a reason to promote helmet use?
I agree with you, however the head injuries would likely be far less than they were had the cyclist been wearing a helmet. I don't see anything wrong with making that observation. His post certainly didn't strike me as arguing that anything other than a head injury could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Incidentally, I am not anti-helmet. I don't wear one myself although I have tried to. I simply find them uncomfortable and intrusive. I wouldn't allow my son to ride without one, however (it's law and he had one incident four years ago when he was eight) I haven't had an accident in 25 years because I ride responsibly, predictably, at a reasonable speed and being both alert and perceptive enough to avoid being hit or hitting.
See my post in the "bees" thread in the General Cycling sub-forum.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.