Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Helmets galore.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ABQ
    My Bikes
    Peugot ss/fixed beater, Bareknuckle, Bridgestone Road, Old Raleigh beater.
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Helmets galore.

    I was hit by a car on Monday. And as I see it, it was a worthwhile experience. It couldn't have happened any better. Even though I was clipped in I was thrown in just a way that I managed to catch my weight with my left forearm, roll on my left shoulder and flop square on my back. Within a second I stood up, unscratched and with only a few small bruises. The man stopped, and much to my joy gave me his card. He's a used car salesman. He knows the importance of obeying the law of the road and said he would make a report at the police substation, file an insurance claim and help me out as best he could.

    I can't imagine anyone could object to a situation such as that happening in any other way. We all know very well how accidents are just that, accidents. They are unavoidable and unforeseen and can have irreversible consequences.

    This is where my dilemma arose. I made a mistake. I was not wearing a helmet and thankfully I rolled in such a way that I easily avoided any sort of head to ground contact. I imagine some of you have some input on good headgear to look into. I'm interested in something lightweight and well-ventilated. I've been told that helmet makers consistently roll out new models to meet updated safety specifications which forces bike shops and whatnot to offer the 'old' models at a heavily discounted rate.

    At any rate, how much should I expect to spend? From what I've seen, anything $100 and up is made how I would like, but can I get them for cheaper? Which helmet works best? Simply put, any input is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a well ventalated helmet that is quite stylish for under US$50. Maybe as low as US$30. All helmets sold in the USA must meet the same minimum CPSC impact standred, be it a $9.99 no name at Big Lots or a limited edition Giro Atmos for $230 at an LBS.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  3. #3
    Still a Newbie Scarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Louis Garneau, but it's a couple of years old now (come to think of it, I should really replace it soon as they apparently degrade). Mine was the "Alien".

    http://www.louisgarneau.com/

    http://mtbr.com/reviews/Helmet/product_21997.shtml

    I think I paid $80 for it at the time, and that was on the steep side for me. I'd definately buy another Louis Garneau helmet in the future, so I can reccomend them.

  4. #4
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,065
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind stretching your budget, I recommend the Giro Xen, particularly if you have a roundish head. The most important factor is proper fit.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  5. #5
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,731
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my Bell Citi when the 06's rolled out, I got an '05 for $25.

    I don't think the safety rules have changed that much, certainly not from one year to the next. They just keep messing with the design in order to obsolete last year's stuff. It's a game the auto industry invented, and pretty much everyone does these days.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  6. #6
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever spent more than $60 on a helmet, except for once because it just looked SO cool that I had to have it.
    It's all about comfort, really. Go to the shop and try them all on until you find one that feels right.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a big head and got a giro atlas II. cost me $15 dollars as my health insurance company gave me $25 back on the price for buying a helmet. If you have health coverage, check with them to see if they give a rebate on purchased helmet. If you dont have health coverage, bleh... be careful out there.

  8. #8
    Real Human Being wild animals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottery St. Catchpole
    My Bikes
    Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i said this just yesterday, but for the sake of repeating myself...
    the bell slant (40-50 bucks) and bell citi (25-30? bucks) were the two top-scoring helmets for adults in consumer reports' bike helmet tests. i have the slant and i wouldn't pay more for a helmet now that i know this one is available. it has lots of vents, it looks nice, it's highly adjustable. mine was $40 at performance bike.

    ps: i have a kind-of big head, too, and this helmet fits me very well. i don't know about small-headers, but i'd guess it'd work for them too! you can try them on at performance bike if there's one near you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klink:
    The one aspect of your post I'd like to focus on is you mentioned you've been told that " helmet makers consistently roll out new models to meet updated safety specifications." This is simply false information. No helmet made in 2007 is going to be safer than the model that came out in '05. But helmet manufacturers do put out new models every year and this is why you can get a really nice helmet for cheaper. I purchased a "last year" model Limar 911 which retails normally for $125 for only $50.
    Helmet fit is very important though so you are best off trying the brands out that your local stores carry to see which fit your head the best. Then if you can save $50 or more bucks by purchasing one online I say go for it. My lbs gets plenty of money from me already.
    Leave your treadmill power trip behind.

  10. #10
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larue
    I purchased a "last year" model Limar 911 which retails normally for $125 for only $50.
    "Last year's" models are great for saving $$ when, like many of us, you're not concerned about having the newest/flashiest matched team kit gear. Closeouts at Performance and REI are my two favourite shopping spots.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crystal MN
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look for a round back end. This will avoid that catching on anything. Also think about the cold if you need to. My helment alows for a winter hat. Bell Citi I think does this with the back end. My old 04 Metro helmet works great.
    My Youtube Cycling Videos Here

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A helmet could possibly prevent you from some amount of head injury in a collision. Not being involved in the collision in the first place will go a lot further in protecting your head though. I don't want to start the usual A&S argument but... Klink, if you wanted to post a few details about how your collision happened, maybe we could give some advice as to how to avoid it happening again. The good news is that you sound like you know how to take a fall at least.

  13. #13
    Senior Member larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951
    A helmet could possibly prevent you from some amount of head injury in a collision. Not being involved in the collision in the first place will go a lot further in protecting your head though. I don't want to start the usual A&S argument but... Klink, if you wanted to post a few details about how your collision happened, maybe we could give some advice as to how to avoid it happening again. The good news is that you sound like you know how to take a fall at least.
    He didn't ask for advice on how to avoid a future collision, he asked for advice on helmets.
    Leave your treadmill power trip behind.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larue
    He didn't ask for advice on how to avoid a future collision, he asked for advice on helmets.
    I know But I liken that to someone asking for advice on what bike to buy and not telling us what they plan to use it for.

  15. #15
    Senior Member EnigManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klink
    I was hit by a car on Monday. And as I see it, it was a worthwhile experience. It couldn't have happened any better. Even though I was clipped in I was thrown in just a way that I managed to catch my weight with my left forearm, roll on my left shoulder and flop square on my back. Within a second I stood up, unscratched and with only a few small bruises. The man stopped, and much to my joy gave me his card. He's a used car salesman. He knows the importance of obeying the law of the road and said he would make a report at the police substation, file an insurance claim and help me out as best he could.

    I can't imagine anyone could object to a situation such as that happening in any other way. We all know very well how accidents are just that, accidents. They are unavoidable and unforeseen and can have irreversible consequences.

    This is where my dilemma arose. I made a mistake. I was not wearing a helmet and thankfully I rolled in such a way that I easily avoided any sort of head to ground contact. I imagine some of you have some input on good headgear to look into. I'm interested in something lightweight and well-ventilated. I've been told that helmet makers consistently roll out new models to meet updated safety specifications which forces bike shops and whatnot to offer the 'old' models at a heavily discounted rate.

    At any rate, how much should I expect to spend? From what I've seen, anything $100 and up is made how I would like, but can I get them for cheaper? Which helmet works best? Simply put, any input is greatly appreciated.
    I read on Thursday in The Metro newspaper here in Toronto (sorry, they do not have a link to the story) that British researchers jave concluded that motorists tend to respect and exercise greater caution around cyclists who are not wearing helmets. If I recall their data correctly, I believe they said there was a nine times greater chance of being struck by a motor vehicle if the cyclist is wearing a helmet.
    The slow down is accelerating

  16. #16
    Senior Member larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigManiac
    I read on Thursday in The Metro newspaper here in Toronto (sorry, they do not have a link to the story) that British researchers jave concluded that motorists tend to respect and exercise greater caution around cyclists who are not wearing helmets. If I recall their data correctly, I believe they said there was a nine times greater chance of being struck by a motor vehicle if the cyclist is wearing a helmet.
    That so called study is complete horse****. It's been posted about 50 times in the past week and the unanimous decision is it's full of BS.

    Think about how you view cyclists when you are driving. Do you really give preferential treatment based on whether someone has a helmet or not? I doubt it and I know I don't. Personally if anything I respect cyclists who look like they know what they are doing and are riding safely more than those who don't, but I still exercise the same amount of caution around them all.
    Leave your treadmill power trip behind.

  17. #17
    Senior Member EnigManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larue
    That so called study is complete horse****. It's been posted about 50 times in the past week and the unanimous decision is it's full of BS.

    Think about how you view cyclists when you are driving. Do you really give preferential treatment based on whether someone has a helmet or not? I doubt it and I know I don't. Personally if anything I respect cyclists who look like they know what they are doing and are riding safely more than those who don't, but I still exercise the same amount of caution around them all.
    I can't defend the article as it was brief and I do not recall what authority the researchers had, if any. So, it may well be BS as you suggest.

    I am a thirty-year+ bike commuter who rides predictably, responsibly, alertly and safely. I certainly hope that I would satisfy those who respect cyclists who 'look' like they know what they're doing in spite of the fact that I do not wear a helmet. Judging by the large number of cyclists I see who wear helmets yet still race through red-lights and stop-signs, thread lanes and ride on busy sidewalks and ride against traffic on congested streets and who do not use lights or reflectors when night riding and who behave unpredictably, erratically and recklessly, they sure don't receive my respect for looking like they knew what they were doing just because they had a lid on.
    The slow down is accelerating

  18. #18
    Senior Member larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stated that having a lid means you look like you know what you are doing.
    By "looking" I meant by the way they are riding ie on the right side of the road, with lights, using signals et-cetera.
    Leave your treadmill power trip behind.

  19. #19
    The Dude abides
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Florifornia
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought an '05 Bell Citi at REI's outlet website for less than $20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •