Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cycling glasses

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cycling glasses

    Today is a windy day in the bay area, California. I didn't have my sunglasses when I rided to work. Dust was blown all over the place and I had to squeeze my eyes. It really distracted me.

    I tried several sports sunglasses and found out that all of them would bounce off when the bike hit a small bump (my bike has no suspension whatsoever). Eventually I just used an elastic band to hold the sunglasses.

    Are there any clear sunglasses that can hold up tight on my face?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried any bicycling glasses? I've had several pair and never had any of them come loose under any circumstances (even being struck by cars!). They can be found on sale from Performance online as low as $19 on occassion. I couldn't live without them on my San Jose/Santa Clara commute just because of all the gardeners making clouds of dust along the road with their leaf blowers!

  3. #3
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i take the wife unit's hair dryer, heat each side piece, bend into a tighter wrap, then hold until cool...

    works great on my pairs!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling glasses are designed not to fall off on bumpy roads, and generally protect your eyes better from debris than regular sunglasses, which are just intended to keep the sun out of your eyes.

  5. #5
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir
    Today is a windy day in the bay area, California. I didn't have my sunglasses when I rided to work. Dust was blown all over the place and I had to squeeze my eyes. It really distracted me.

    I tried several sports sunglasses and found out that all of them would bounce off when the bike hit a small bump (my bike has no suspension whatsoever). Eventually I just used an elastic band to hold the sunglasses.

    Are there any clear sunglasses that can hold up tight on my face?
    It was a windy day? Which area do you live? I did'nt notice any wind . I have prescription glasses, and they never bounce off...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SV Commuter
    Have you tried any bicycling glasses? I've had several pair and never had any of them come loose under any circumstances (even being struck by cars!). They can be found on sale from Performance online as low as $19 on occassion. I couldn't live without them on my San Jose/Santa Clara commute just because of all the gardeners making clouds of dust along the road with their leaf blowers!
    Yes. Actually I tried one in a local bike shop and found that it was even looser than the one I tried in Target, which is a general sports sunglasses made by Ironman. I wonder if it is because I have a small head/face. By the way, I am 5'5" with 130lbs. I think I am a pretty subcompact person in north America.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    i take the wife unit's hair dryer, heat each side piece, bend into a tighter wrap, then hold until cool...

    works great on my pairs!
    That sounds like a cool idea. Is your wife's hair dryer anything special or any hair dryer will do?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils
    It was a windy day? Which area do you live? I did'nt notice any wind . I have prescription glasses, and they never bounce off...
    I live in the western San Jose. The part of the city that squeezes into Cupertino area. I had to ride against wind today. It wasn't very pleasant without a pair of good sunglasses.
    Last edited by Kabir; 09-15-06 at 04:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...1V&ItemCode=70

    I guarantee they won't fall off your head. They come with regular temples so you can wear them like regular glasses too. I bought them because the lenses pop out and I was able to get prescription lenses for them cheap.

    You can generally find them on ebay for $30-$50.

    -D

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath
    http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...1V&ItemCode=70

    I guarantee they won't fall off your head. They come with regular temples so you can wear them like regular glasses too. I bought them because the lenses pop out and I was able to get prescription lenses for them cheap.

    You can generally find them on ebay for $30-$50.

    -D
    Wow, dude, it is pretty good. I especially like the idea of transforming between glasses and goggles. Thanks.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect example would be the Rudy Project glasses. They are really expensive (hence why I don't own a pair). They've got the adjustable nose pieces and temple pieces so you can actually move them so they grip your head.

    Other than that I bet all you need to do is try on LOTS of glasses. Eventually you will find a pair that fit.

  12. #12
    ex-everything. soze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    My Bikes
    venerable surly crosscheck
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Specialized's optics; the Cortina model is great for smaller face/head sizes.

  13. #13
    Long-time Curmudgeon DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Still here
    Posts
    17,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While Rudy Project glasses are pricey, THEY ROCK. I bought a pair of Freeons a couple years ago and they're great. The adjustable nosepiece and earpieces let you get a nice snug fit, especially on the brow to keep wind from blowing in when you're in the drops.

    Also, my lens developed a little crack at the nosepiece and I got them replaced for 15 bucks because RP has a lifetime lens replacement program for which you pay only $15 for "shipping."

    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  14. #14
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there were such glasses. And still are is you live in Huntington Beach, California or are the least little bit inventive. Google "Suspension Eyewear" invented by Reese in 1980. Thin earpieces hool behind each ear with two lines running from each earpiece to the outside edges of plastic lenses held in place by a nose bridge. Sold mostly to NASA and a few lucky people who found out about them from the Reeses and the one eye doctor in Huntington Beach who still carries them.
    For DIY get any set of lenses with a metal bridge for a nose piese. Have two tiny holes drilled in the outer edges of each lense. Run a piece of monofilament line (like fishing line) through the holes and knot it in a loop that can fit over the ears loosely. One tiny knot at a time slowly shrink the two loops (one for each ear) until the lenses are firmly but comfortable held centered before the eyes. The wife still uses the original patented ear pieces as she does not break them. I use the loops. They flutter in very high speed descents but stay on, even swimming underwater. The thin lines allow a gas tight seal for emergency workers (and astronauts).
    This space open

  15. #15
    Long-time Curmudgeon DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Still here
    Posts
    17,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ken cummings
    Yes, there were such glasses. And still are is you live in Huntington Beach, California or are the least little bit inventive. Google "Suspension Eyewear" invented by Reese in 1980. Thin earpieces hool behind each ear with two lines running from each earpiece to the outside edges of plastic lenses held in place by a nose bridge. Sold mostly to NASA and a few lucky people who found out about them from the Reeses and the one eye doctor in Huntington Beach who still carries them.
    For DIY get any set of lenses with a metal bridge for a nose piese. Have two tiny holes drilled in the outer edges of each lense. Run a piece of monofilament line (like fishing line) through the holes and knot it in a loop that can fit over the ears loosely. One tiny knot at a time slowly shrink the two loops (one for each ear) until the lenses are firmly but comfortable held centered before the eyes. The wife still uses the original patented ear pieces as she does not break them. I use the loops. They flutter in very high speed descents but stay on, even swimming underwater. The thin lines allow a gas tight seal for emergency workers (and astronauts).
    That's a lot of work considering the multitude of options for sport glasses you have at any sunglass shop... And those won't cut your ears if the glasses are yanked off in a crash.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Optic Nerve Vonz Menus

    I have been looking around different sports sites for sunglasses that fit smaller faces. Since I am on a tight budget now, I pay closer attention to those cheaper ones. On Performance site, I ran into this sunglasses -- Optic Nerve Vonz Menus. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

    It claims to fit smaller faces. I haven't found any comment on this though. Anyone had any experience with it?

    Thanks.

    PS. What is on Performance Bike has 3 lens while the one on eBay has 4. Kind of strange.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Fisher Rail
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance sells a multi-lens version for about $25. Got some for my son that have smoke, yellow, and clear lenses. Work great, and are designed to stay on the head well. I wear prescription glasses, so mine are much more expensive.

  18. #18
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If people are on a really tight budget like I am at the moment, heading down to your local safety supply store is really helpful. For $3 a pair, I got clear, amber, and sunglasses that fit my face and wrap around the way that cycling specific glasses do. The store near me has a variety to fit different faces and over Rx glasses. They stay on. Yeah, it's bulky to have 3 different pair, but the price works for me. At least I won't feel bad if I lose or break one. They also carry high-viz shirts, and reflective sticky and sew on tape for far less than a bike shop.

  19. #19
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Tifosi glasses, and I never have any problems with them. They have interchangable lenses and work well. They're not too expensive either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •