Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member fholt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NC
    My Bikes
    '05 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nasty attitude on the roads this weekend.

    I haven't been seeing much hostility riding on the roads around here, but this weekend seems a definite exception. On the way to the LBS group ride yesterday I was buzzed twice, got a "get on the sidewalk" from one pickup driver and a "move over" from another in a stretch where I have to take the lane (mind you it's saturday morning, with light traffic, and THERE'S 2 LANES GOING OUR DIRECTION.) All this in the first 4 miles! The group ride was fairly uneventful, but I had a couple more minor incidents on the way back home.

    Then today, we're driving in the car, and I see this lady walking with traffic, in the gutterpan of a very narrow stretch (but again, 4 lanes wide) and while I go left to give her room, I see in the rearview that the guy in the oversized pickup (what is it with these guys) didn't move left an inch. I'd guess his mirror probably missed her head by 6 inches or so. What's with people like this?

    I don't know why all the sudden - perhaps it's 'cause it's the weeknd again and the NCSU football team still sucks - folks in a foul mood - and acting it out dangerously.
    -------------------------------
    '07 Specialized Allez Comp
    '06 Novara Randonee

  2. #2
    Mr. Maximan1 maximan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Anaheim and Fullerton (SoCal)
    My Bikes
    Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a bad weekend too

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that maybe it's not too hot to have the air conditioner running, so drivers have their windows down now. Why roll down a window just to yell at a guy on a bicycle. Maybe they do yell when the windows are up, I don't know. Just seems summer and winter are a little quieter.

  4. #4
    Senior Member trackhub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Posts
    1,870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In New England today, it's summer-like, with temps in the low 80's. Overall, a very pleasant day for riding. The traffic in the cambridge area was extremely violatile, with lots of horn honking, yelling, all the usual. While I was not yelled at, I was buzzed several times, and "horned" once. ("Horned" is what I call it when someone lays on the horn, for no apparent reason.)

    I have no clue as to why it was so ugly today. Traffic is always congested when there is a Harvard football home game, but that was not the case today. There was the usual amount of road construction projects, but nothing unexpected.

    It's always interesting to stop near Harvard Square, and observe the goings-on. Motorists don't like each other, any more then they like cyclists. Stop to yield to a pedestrian? The driver behind you will probably want to kill you. Driving just under the legal speed limit on busy Mass ave? Ditto. Taking to long to exit an on-street parking space? Kill!!!

    Any armchair psychologists want to have a go at this?
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That usually happens to me almost EVERY time I ride here in Miami. Cagers are the worst. For some reason, this weekend all I got was a fairly close buzz or two. Pretty good weekend for me!
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  6. #6
    Senior Member gwhalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    White IRO Angus
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like when cars have their windows down. That way they can hear when I yell at them!
    Take back the bikelane!
    http://www.mybikelane.com/

  7. #7
    Banned. Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see cars honking at pregnant women pushing strollers in crosswalks quite regularily around here, not to mention kids, old folks, having to do the 'reverse walk' when drivers fail to yield to them-

    America's drivers are collectively quite awful. i think the psychological factors involve anonominity, goals/delays and me-ism at the expense of social order. lack of common courtesy is epidemic in this country; put people already frustrated with their everyday lives behind the wheel of a large automobile to get stuck in traffic and burn hard earned dollars up in gas every week, and a two ton gorrilla with horrible road manners is born.

    Then, these people go out and frustrate other drivers, and begat more road rage.... Americans are almost pathlogically uncooperative.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fholt
    I haven't been seeing much hostility riding on the roads around here, but this weekend seems a definite exception. On the way to the LBS group ride yesterday I was buzzed twice, got a "get on the sidewalk" from one pickup driver and a "move over" from another in a stretch where I have to take the lane (mind you it's saturday morning, with light traffic, and THERE'S 2 LANES GOING OUR DIRECTION.) All this in the first 4 miles! The group ride was fairly uneventful, but I had a couple more minor incidents on the way back home.

    Then today, we're driving in the car, and I see this lady walking with traffic, in the gutterpan of a very narrow stretch (but again, 4 lanes wide) and while I go left to give her room, I see in the rearview that the guy in the oversized pickup (what is it with these guys) didn't move left an inch. I'd guess his mirror probably missed her head by 6 inches or so. What's with people like this?

    I don't know why all the sudden - perhaps it's 'cause it's the weeknd again and the NCSU football team still sucks - folks in a foul mood - and acting it out dangerously.
    I had a good ride today, cagers seemed to behave themselves, and even the ones walking to and from cars behaved themselves. The section we rode on the MUP was good, the peds behaved themselves, and heard our bells, heck even crossing major streets, we got breaks

  9. #9
    Senior Member oilfreeandhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Posts
    1,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the jerk that yelled likes to express his manliness against somebody a lot smaller. Why do most pickups on the road have nothing in the beds? Do all these people buy these things for the once-a-year haul? A friend of mine helped me out with his pickup, and we hauled some stuff to the dump. He was more than happy to do this for me, and I gave him a case of beer for his effort.

    My take is that most Americans like to be independent, and thus there are so many pickups on the road. Most of these people wouldn't think of borrowing or renting one.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Alabama USA
    My Bikes
    TREK 1000c
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhalin
    I like when cars have their windows down. That way they can hear when I yell at them!
    Cars can hear?

  11. #11
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fholt

    I don't know why all the sudden - perhaps it's 'cause it's the weeknd again and the NCSU football team still sucks - folks in a foul mood - and acting it out dangerously.
    This statement amazes me. I live in a small college town north of you in VA. I can definitively say that when there is a football game in town the level of hostility rises quite notably. I have taken note of this though it is interesting to see some one else has too. Incidentally it doesn't matter whether your team is good or bad.

  12. #12
    52-week commuter DCCommuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS
    Posts
    1,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here the city empties out in the summer as everyone goes on vacation. After Labor Day, everyone comes back and the congestion and hostility increase.
    The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just completing a 71 mile "wander" this Saturday....was at a stop light in Ft Myers (stopped) when a woman in the car at the stop light tells me to get on the sidewalk. I calmly explained to her how dangerous that is, that Florida law is in my favor, more accidents occur on the sidewalk......etc, etc.....the "tone" went out of her voice, and she ended the short conversation with "I never realized that"....and then told me "to have a great afternoon!"

    ......one at a time, one at a time....

  14. #14
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLB58
    Was just completing a 71 mile "wander" this Saturday....was at a stop light in Ft Myers (stopped) when a woman in the car at the stop light tells me to get on the sidewalk. I calmly explained to her how dangerous that is, that Florida law is in my favor, more accidents occur on the sidewalk......etc, etc.....the "tone" went out of her voice, and she ended the short conversation with "I never realized that"....and then told me "to have a great afternoon!"

    ......one at a time, one at a time....
    +1

    Great going!
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  15. #15
    ROM 6:23 flipped4bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub
    In New England today, it's summer-like, with temps in the low 80's. Overall, a very pleasant day for riding. The traffic in the cambridge area was extremely violatile, with lots of horn honking, yelling, all the usual. While I was not yelled at, I was buzzed several times, and "horned" once. ("Horned" is what I call it when someone lays on the horn, for no apparent reason.)

    I have no clue as to why it was so ugly today. Traffic is always congested when there is a Harvard football home game, but that was not the case today. There was the usual amount of road construction projects, but nothing unexpected.

    It's always interesting to stop near Harvard Square, and observe the goings-on. Motorists don't like each other, any more then they like cyclists. Stop to yield to a pedestrian? The driver behind you will probably want to kill you. Driving just under the legal speed limit on busy Mass ave? Ditto. Taking to long to exit an on-street parking space? Kill!!!

    Any armchair psychologists want to have a go at this?
    I am shocked that this behavior goes on in Boston.....
    Every time we let a vehicle pass there is a little bit of compromise. But compromise allows the city to function and allows cyclists to function in the city. The trick is not to eliminate compromise but to learn how to work safely within it.

    --Robert Hurst

  16. #16
    Senior Member billh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny. Seems like it comes in waves. I can go a long stretch before encountering truly nasty behavior. And when it comes, it hits me like a brick wall. Not fun. I think that is sort of how random behavior works. People think random events are spaced out evenly. Not so. I remembering hearing somewhere that truly random numbers appear somewhat clustered to the untrained eye. They come in clumps. I think of drivers as these little ticking bombs, like landmines, and I never know when I'm going to get blown up. Comforting, eh?

  17. #17
    Speed Demon *roll eyes*
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    982
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I think happens is this: we live in a society that is under a lot of stress.

    People are stressed because they have a morgage.
    People are stressed because they have bills.
    or family...
    or no morgage...
    or no family...
    or because they feel unsafe due to world events...
    or because ....

    blah blah blah.

    If people are stressed, and unhappy, and rushed, you end up with people striking out at those around them. What I have noticed is that people often dont seem to like people much. If you have troubles in traffic with car drivers, it is not because you are on a bike, it is because you are there. They would be obnoxious to you if you were in a car as well.
    1998 Specialized S-works Hardtail - hotrodded
    2005 Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross

  18. #18
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,038
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy
    Cars can hear?
    Sure, didn't you see "Cars"


  19. #19
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,038
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random, sometimes clumped, sometimes not. It's random....

  20. #20
    Senior Member bikecrate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    LF, APMAT
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football games = alcohol and testosterone. You're lucky you got off so easy.

  21. #21
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People calm down when I flash the blue strobe on my bike.

    I wonder why?
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    1970 Raleigh Record (daily rider), 1967 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Motobecane Mirage (commuter)
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billh
    People think random events are spaced out evenly. Not so.
    Yeah, if they were spaced evenly, they wouldn't be random.... ;-) You're right though -- a lot of people don't grok that random means RANDOM!
    1970 Raleigh Record (my first "real" bike and current rider)
    1973 Motobecane Mirage (commuter mule)
    1967 Raleigh Sports

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Posts
    1,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCCommuter
    Around here the city empties out in the summer as everyone goes on vacation. After Labor Day, everyone comes back and the congestion and hostility increase.
    They all come up here where we see notably more congestion and stupid driving behaviour in the summer than we do in the rest of the year.

    Mark (in Maine)

  24. #24
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper
    People calm down when I flash the blue strobe on my bike.

    I wonder why?
    I am not sure if you are joking but I have a cat eye head lamp that has a blinking mode. There are bike cops in this town. When I put that thing on I swear people give me more respect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •